Absorption of Radiation: Calculating Sphere Area

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of specific surface area (SSA) and its possible application to calculating the absorption of radiation in a sphere. The conversation also touches on other factors such as density and volume, but it is not clear what exactly the question is asking. The participants express frustration with the lack of clarity in the question and suggest that the questioner should provide more information to avoid confusion.
hagopbul
Hello:

Do anyone remember a law to calculate an area of a sphere ,some thing like the specific surface area but relative to absorption of radiation ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Like ##\pi r^2\ ## ?

BvU said:
Like ##\pi r^2\ ## ?

Yes but with density elements

In what context ? You seem to have a specific expression for absorption in mind ... what density, and of what ?

Hagopbul, will you please write more than one sentence at a time? It is infuriating when it takes many days and may posts before you finally have written the entire question.

Last edited:
Likes hagopbul and BvU
I was wondering about radiation absorption in simple radiation pressure equation , a professor on YouTube used the (pi r^2 )
equation .
I start to ask myself can we have other area law , one that includes density ?
Just like specific surface area = 3/(roh*r)

The sphere has the smallest surface area per volume. Maybe you already knew that. But it's not clear what you're asking.

hagopbul said:
Just like specific surface area = 3/(roh*r)
Never heard of it
hagopbul said:
professor on YouTube
In spite of my answer in #2, not me. But then: WHO ?
hagopbul said:
one that includes density
Did I already ask What density ? And of what ?

Presumably you already know that the area of a sphere is ##4πr^2##, and that its volume is ##4/3πr^3##.

That's the least surface area per volume for a closed bounded object in ##\mathbb R^3##.

Is surface area to volume ratio what you mean by density in your question about absorption (and not adsorption?) of radiation?

hagopbul said:
3/(roh*r)
##\rho## is spelled rho.

"Specific surface area" would be surface area per unit mass. The "specific surface area" of a sphere would be the area of the sphere (##4 \pi r^2##) divided by its mass (##\rho \frac{4}{3} \pi r^3##) yielding a result of ##\frac{3}{\rho r}##

Possibly you are chasing something like absorption per unit mass for spherical pellets of a given density and radius in a uniform omnidirectional light bath. Or, since radiation pressure has been mentioned, possibly we are talking about illumination from a single direction -- in which case we need to divide by four. Both interpretations ignore the problem of self-shading, so perhaps something else entirely is meant.

As has been suggested, we should not have to play guessing games to tease a question out of the questioner.

Last edited:
Likes hagopbul, sysprog and BvU
According to wikipedeia:

Specific surface area (SSA) is a property of solids defined as the total surface area of a material per unit of mass,[1] (with units of ##m^2/kg## or ##m^2/g##) or solid or bulk volume[2][3] (units of ##m^2/m^3## or ##m^−1##).​

I was wondering whether the volumetric meaning might have been intended.

Last edited:
jbriggs444 said:
##\rho## is spelled rho. But what ##\rho##r is supposed to denote is anyone's guess.
My guess was that rho meant density and that r meant radius.
"Specific surface area" would be surface area per unit mass. The "specific surface area" of a sphere would be the area of the sphere ##(4 \pi r^2)## divided by its volume (##4/3 \pi r^3##) yielding a result of ##\frac{3}{\rho r}##
I notice that you also guessed that he might have meant per volume rather than per mass by SSA (of a sphere) ##=3/\rho*r##, given that, absent units -- ##gm^3## or ##m^3## -- it could refer to either.
As has been suggested, we should not have to play guessing games to tease a question out of the questioner.
I think I'll have to agree with the grown folks on that. :oldeyes:

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of calculating the surface area of a sphere in relation to radiation absorption?

The surface area of a sphere is directly related to the amount of radiation it can absorb. By calculating the surface area, we can determine the maximum amount of radiation that can be absorbed by the sphere.

2. How is the surface area of a sphere calculated?

The surface area of a sphere can be calculated using the formula A = 4πr2, where A is the surface area and r is the radius of the sphere.

3. Does the material of the sphere affect its ability to absorb radiation?

Yes, the material of the sphere can greatly affect its ability to absorb radiation. Some materials are more reflective and can reflect radiation away, while others are more absorptive and can absorb more radiation.

4. Can the size of the sphere affect its ability to absorb radiation?

Yes, the size of the sphere can also affect its ability to absorb radiation. A larger sphere will have a larger surface area and therefore be able to absorb more radiation compared to a smaller sphere.

5. How can the absorption of radiation by a sphere be used in practical applications?

The absorption of radiation by a sphere can be used in various practical applications, such as in solar energy systems. By calculating the surface area of a solar panel, we can determine the maximum amount of radiation it can absorb and therefore the potential energy it can produce. This information can also be used in designing radiation shields for spacecraft or nuclear reactors.