1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

About C^k and C^oo spaces

1. May 7, 2007 #1
    I have a cauchy sequence (f_n) in the space of functions on [0,1] which are infinitely differentiable, C^oo ([0,1]) = INTERSECTION C^k ([0,1]), k from 0 to oo, with the metric d(f,g) = SUM 2^-i * ||f-g||_C^i / ( 1 + ||f-g||_C^i ), i from 0 to oo

If we assume that we do not know whether ( C^oo, d ) is complete or not from the beginning, but that we know ( C^k, ||.|| ) are Banach spaces for all k,

is it valid to claim that (f_n) is cauchy in C^k ([0,1]) for all k?

reason:
    (f_n) cauchy in C^oo
    for all epsilon > 0 there exists N(depending on epsilon) in the set of natural numbers such that
    m,n >= N => d(f_m, f_n) < epsilon
    so there exists N s.t.
    epsilon > d(f_m, f_n) = SUM 2^-i * ||f_m - f_n||_C^i / ( 1 + ||f_m - f_n||_C^i ), i from 0 to oo
    i.e.
    epsilon > SUM 2^-i * [ 1 / ( 1 + ||f_m - f_n||_C^i ) - 1 ] , i from 0 to oo

and so we can make the above sum as arbitrarily small as we desire,
    therefore we can make ||f_m - f_n||_C^i as arbitrarily small as we desire since this is the only "variable" in the above sum.
    i.e. ||f_m - f_n||_C^i < epsilon_i for all i

and hence (f_n) is cauchy in C^k for all k

Also with the same situation as before but this time I have a convergent sequence in C^oo, i.e. (f_n) -> f in C^oo

Is it valid to claim that (f_n) is convergent in C^k for all k?

reason:
    with exactly the same method as before except replace "f_m, f_n" by "f_n and f"

or

(f_n) -> f in C^oo means
    f_n - f -> 0, i.e.
    d(f_n, f) -> 0, i.e.
    SUM 2^-i * ||f_n - f||_C^i / ( 1 + ||f_n - f||_C^i ), i from 0 to oo, goes to zero, i.e.
    ||f_n - f||_C^i -> 0 for all i since 2^-i > 0 so the other part of the numerator needs to be zero
    i.e. (f_n) -> f in C^k for all k

Last edited: May 7, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2007 #2
    I'm not sure. I think you might have a problem with the N_k s, i.e. how far you have to go in the sequence before all terms are within epsilon of each other. If the N_k 's kept getting larger and larger, I'm not sure if you could say that f_n was cauchy in C^oo, because you might not be able to make that sum you mentioned as arbitraily small as possible. In other words, perhaps N_k needs an upper bound, or perhaps I'm simply being overly pedantic.

If for every k the sequence is cauchy, that means that the functions are converging to a limit in C^k. Perhaps if you found this limit and proved that all the C^k limits were the same?.

Actually, what if you could make all those terms in your sequence less than say epsilon*2^-k. Then the sum of the infinite geometric series would be less than epsilon. But woundn't you need an upper bound on N_k to do this.

I don't have any analysis texts in front of me. Sorry.

4. May 8, 2007 #3
    Okay, now I'm getting a bit confused...
    I want to show that any sequence that is cauchy in C^oo implies it is cauchy in C^k for all k, and that any sequence that is convergent in C^oo implies it is convergent in C^k for all k.
    So I can take any cauchy sequence in C^oo and can make that sum as small as desired, same with the second case where I can take any convergent sequence in C^oo...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?