How can you calculate impedance using the formula Z = R + jX?

• Thread starter chan1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impedance
In summary, the impedance is 4.7kΩ at 10Hz and is not affected by frequency for a resistor with a resistance of 4.7kΩ.
chan1

Homework Statement

know that the frequency is10hz and 4.7kΩ resistor calculating the impedance in kΩ
i spend half hour on this and still have no idea what to do ,tell me the formula or the step thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
chan1 said:

Homework Statement

know that the frequency is10hz and 4.7kΩ resistor calculating the impedance in kΩ
i spend half hour on this and still have no idea what to do ,tell me the formula or the step thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

4.7K ohms.

rude man said:
4.7K ohms.

what about when frequency is 100hz, 1khz 10khz? what's th impedance
thanks

chan1 said:
what about when frequency is 100hz, 1khz 10khz? what's th impedance
thanks

4.7K ohms. Resistance is independent of frequency unless you were given a model of a non-ideal resistor.

Calculating impedance can be confusing, but it is an important concept to understand in the field of science. The impedance of a circuit is a measure of the opposition to current flow, and it is affected by both resistance and reactance (which is the resistance caused by the inductance or capacitance of the circuit). In order to calculate impedance, you will need to use the formula Z = R + jX, where Z is the impedance, R is the resistance, and jX is the reactance. In this case, since the frequency is 10 Hz and the resistor is 4.7 kΩ, the reactance will be 0 since there is no inductance or capacitance mentioned. Therefore, the impedance will simply be equal to the resistance of 4.7 kΩ. Remember to include the units in your final answer, so the impedance will be 4.7 kΩ. I hope this helps clear up any confusion and good luck with your calculations!

1. What is impedance and why is it important in science?

Impedance is a measure of the opposition to the flow of an electric current. It is important in science because it helps us understand how electricity behaves in different circuits and systems.

2. How is impedance calculated?

Impedance is calculated using the formula Z = R + jX, where Z is impedance, R is resistance, and X is reactance. Reactance takes into account the capacitance and inductance in a circuit.

3. What is the difference between impedance and resistance?

Resistance is a measure of how much a material or component resists the flow of current, while impedance takes into account both resistance and reactance.

4. Can impedance be negative?

Yes, impedance can be negative in certain circuits. This indicates that the current and voltage are out of phase with each other.

5. How is impedance used in practical applications?

Impedance is used in many practical applications, such as designing audio systems, calculating power in electrical systems, and analyzing the performance of electronic components.