1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

About Coefficients of Potentials

1. Dec 20, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I want to prove that coefficients of potential are non-negative. i.e. Pij ≥ 0

2. Relevant equations

By coefficients of potential method we know that in a system of conductors the potential on ith conductor is related to charges on conductors by:

[itex]\Phi[/itex]i = [itex]\sum[/itex] Pij Qj

3. The attempt at a solution

It is written in Reitz and Milford that it is hard to prove in a rigorous way. I think that we should use Pii ≥ Pij.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2011 #2
    how is the system arranged?

4. Dec 21, 2011 #3
    This is a general statement. Of course we should set a specific arrangement to obtain a result. for example put Qi on ith conductor and assume jth conductor to be grounded and Q on other conductors to be zero.
    But I haven't found the correct conditions.

5. Dec 21, 2011 #4
    in your scenario, should the conductors be sufficiently a long way away, their potentials will not effect each other (to a certain approximation) hence defeating the equation connecting the potential of one to the charge of another.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook