Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

About Collision Cascades

1. Jan 7, 2015 #1
    So I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I am trying to find a way to calculate the cascade volume in a steel alloy undergoing ~ 1 MeV ion irradiation ( Z ~ 25). For this analysis I will be looking at the electronic stopping regime with PKA energy of ~ 10 keV. Not sure what to do after calculating the PKA energy.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Jan 13, 2015 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Do you have to do it from scratch, or can you check what common simulation tools like Geant4 are doing?

5. Jan 16, 2015 #4
    I have to do it from scratch since my programming abilities are very limited. I actually came up with a volume analytically using a maximum cascade temperature of ~10000 K, but the volume seems small ( V = 50 nm^3 ). Since I am trying to calculate the volume mid ion range, (about halfway through) I think using Averback's equation from TRIM results will not be helpful. My PKA energy is actually 14 keV which leads to approximately 10 keV for damage energy. You wouldn't happen to know of any Matlab code to handle this would you?

6. Jan 16, 2015 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I would use some existing software package, or at least see what they did (there should be some references explaining that, I just don't know where).

7. Jan 16, 2015 #6
    Ok, thanks for the replies.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook