How do I calculate cascade volume in a steel alloy under ion irradiation?

• Thread starter nukapprentice
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collision
In summary, the conversation is about finding a way to calculate the cascade volume in a steel alloy undergoing ion irradiation. The person is looking at the electronic stopping regime with a PKA energy of 10 keV and is unsure of what to do after calculating the energy. They mention their limited programming abilities and their attempt to calculate the volume analytically. However, they are not satisfied with the small volume they obtained and believe using Averback's equation from TRIM results will not be helpful. They also mention their PKA energy is actually 14 keV and they are looking for any existing Matlab code to handle this. The person suggests using existing software or references to understand the process.
nukapprentice
So I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I am trying to find a way to calculate the cascade volume in a steel alloy undergoing ~ 1 MeV ion irradiation ( Z ~ 25). For this analysis I will be looking at the electronic stopping regime with PKA energy of ~ 10 keV. Not sure what to do after calculating the PKA energy.

Do you have to do it from scratch, or can you check what common simulation tools like Geant4 are doing?

I have to do it from scratch since my programming abilities are very limited. I actually came up with a volume analytically using a maximum cascade temperature of ~10000 K, but the volume seems small ( V = 50 nm^3 ). Since I am trying to calculate the volume mid ion range, (about halfway through) I think using Averback's equation from TRIM results will not be helpful. My PKA energy is actually 14 keV which leads to approximately 10 keV for damage energy. You wouldn't happen to know of any Matlab code to handle this would you?

I would use some existing software package, or at least see what they did (there should be some references explaining that, I just don't know where).

Ok, thanks for the replies.

1. What is a collision cascade?

A collision cascade is a series of collisions that occur between atoms or molecules in a material when it is bombarded with energetic particles, such as ions or electrons. This can lead to changes in the material's structure and properties.

2. How does a collision cascade occur?

A collision cascade occurs when an energetic particle collides with an atom or molecule in a material, causing it to lose energy and recoil. This recoil can then cause other atoms or molecules to become dislodged or rearranged, leading to a chain reaction of collisions.

3. What effects can a collision cascade have on a material?

A collision cascade can cause a variety of effects on a material, including changes in its atomic structure, crystallographic defects, and mechanical properties. It can also lead to the creation of new phases or the formation of amorphous regions within the material.

4. How is a collision cascade studied?

A collision cascade can be studied through various experimental techniques, such as ion beam analysis, transmission electron microscopy, and X-ray diffraction. Computer simulations, such as molecular dynamics or Monte Carlo methods, can also be used to model and understand the behavior of collision cascades.

5. What are the practical applications of studying collision cascades?

Studying collision cascades can provide valuable insights into the behavior of materials under extreme conditions, such as in nuclear reactors or during ion implantation processes. This knowledge can be used to improve the performance and durability of materials in various industries, including aerospace, energy, and electronics.