Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

About coloumb?

1. Mar 29, 2008 #1
    about coloumb??????

i wonder why two point charge whose magnitude 0 and +q(or smt different from zero charge) exert a coloumb force to one another
    .formula says there shoud be no force acting to each other(because of multiplication q1.q2=0) but there is an atraction between them .
    if this force exist what the magnitude is.
    thanks for your reply..

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2008 #2

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

They dont exert a Coloumb force on one another because, as you state below, q1*q2=0

no, there isn't.

magnitude = 0

4. Mar 29, 2008 #3

neu

The electromagnetic interaction cannot occur between a charged and a neutral body.

What says there is an attraction between them? Does it explicitly say this attraction is electromagnetic?

5. Mar 29, 2008 #4
    but why neutral piece of paper and charged plastic rod attract each other

6. Mar 29, 2008 #5
    Induced dipoles in the paper.

The plastic rod (charged negative, IIRC) pushes electrons away from the near side of the paper, resulting in a shift of the charge centers with the positive charge center nearer the rod. This means the net force of attraction between the rod and the positive charges in the paper is slightly greater than the net force of repulsion between the rod and the negative charges of the paper. Hence, an overall net force.

7. Mar 29, 2008 #6

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

those are not point charges.

8. Mar 29, 2008 #7
    but ı have seen a figure on serway physics which shows atractive force between neutral and positive charged point charge on page 786

9. Mar 29, 2008 #8

neu

I'm looking at p786 and there isn't a diagram of point charges. I've got 6th edn, whats the figure number? Is it P25.30?

10. Mar 29, 2008 #9
    ı have 5th edition and its may be different because I am not in u.s.a but figure is showed in gauss law

11. Mar 29, 2008 #10

neu

what number? There's a lot of figures in the section Gauss' Law!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?