1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

About continuity.

1. Mar 9, 2008 #1
    Two questions need helps

I got two questions below need helps:

1. Let f be a real continuous function defined on a closed subset E of R[tex]^1[/tex], then how can I prove the existence of some corressponding real continuous functions g on R[tex]^1[/tex], such that g(x)=f(x) for all x[tex]\in[/tex]E ?

2. Let f and g two functions defined on R[tex]^2[/tex] by: f(0,0)=g(0,0)=0, f(x,y)=xy[tex]^2[/tex]/(x[tex]^2[/tex]+y[tex]^4[/tex]), and g(x,y)=xy[tex]^2[/tex]/(x[tex]^2[/tex]+y[tex]^6[/tex]), if (x,y)[tex]\neq[/tex](0,0). Then how can I prove that: (1) f is bounded on R[tex]^2[/tex], and (2) g is unbounded in every neighborbood of (0,0) ?

Thks!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2008 #2
    You're supposed to show some sort of attempt at solving the problem in order to get here. ;)

The question seems a little unclear to me-basically #1 is just asking you to prove that two equations are equal to each other. On #2, You can prove that f is bounded by setting the equations equal to zero and solving for when x=0. Or you can use your graphing calculator.

I could be wrong, (just a high school student), but from the limited information here, thats about all I can come up with.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?