1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

About continuous function

1. Mar 7, 2008 #1
    If f is a real function on R[tex]^1[/tex], and holds:lim [f(x+h)-f(x-h)] = 0 for every x belongs R[tex]^1[/tex]. Does f continuous?

And I thought it no. Since I considered it mentioned only the left-hand and right-hand limit are equal, but whether or not equal to f(x) was not exactly known.

Will anybody provide me a suggestion? To whether my judgement is true or vice versa.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Limit as h->0, right? Then your judgement is correct, though maybe not for the reason you think it is. The easy way to prove it's correct is to present a counterexample. Suppose f(x)=0 for x not equal to zero and f(0)=1.
  4. Mar 7, 2008 #3

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

To sharpen your thoughts, let me give another example. Consider the function f(x) = x/x. The RHL = LHL everywhere, but the function itself is not defined at x=0 and so not continuous at that point.
  5. Mar 8, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Ka Yan!

No. Not equal to f(x) (unless f(x) = 0).

Just draw any graph, and look at f(3.1) - f(2.9), f(3.01) - f(2.99), f(3.001) - f(2.999), …

Even the first term, f(3.1) - f(2.9), is nowhere near f(3)! :smile:
  6. Mar 8, 2008 #5
    Thanks a lot, gentlemen!

Erm, may I BTW ask one more away-from-the-point question here? That, could anybody, if possible, provide me of any forums where Economics be discussed? Since I have just started the journey of self-learning of the Micro and Macroeconomics, but found questions nowhere to ask, and no one to discuss with.

I'll thank those who could help me for that favor!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?