Exploring the Fourth Dimension: Can You Understand It?

• Thread starter Imran Makhdoom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dimension
In summary: So time can be thought of as a fourth dimension, but it's not really a dimension in the same way that the other three are. It's more like a direction in space.
Imran Makhdoom
What is the fourth dimension can anybody explain it to me ?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is the dimension after the third... not just being cute here. Before you ask this question you need to answer the question, "What is a dimension?" and there are different answers in different context.

We observe three spatial degrees of freedom for an object's position and so we say there are three spatial dimensions. If you consider further degrees of freedom of an object then you can add dimensions. For example a rigid body has six "dimensions" of motion, the three spatial positions plus three parameters of rotational orientation.

Typically people refer to the "fourth dimension" when thinking of time when we consider Einstein's space-time unification which occurs with his Special and General Theory of Relativity.

Likes Imran Makhdoom
To expand a bit on DEvens's answer...

We all agree that a straight line is a one-dimensional object. I can identify any point on the line with a single number, the distance from the origin (we'll use negative numbers for points to the left of the origin, positive for points to the right).

Likewise, a plane is two-dimensional. I can identify any point on a plane with two numbers, the classic x and y coordinates of the Cartesian plane that you've learned about in your first year of algebra.

It takes three numbers to identify a point in the three-dimensional space around us; if I'm in a room I can use the Cartesian x and y to identify a point on the floor, but I need a third number to specify the height above the floor (we usually call this "z" because that's the next letter after "x" and "y"). That's why we say that we live in a three-dimensional space.

However, it turns out to be very convenient in some problems to think of time as a fourth dimension. There's a spot on the floor, right under my foot - we'll say that it in three-dimensional space it is the point x=0, y=0, z=0 (zero meters away from me left and right, zero meters away from me forwards and backwards, zero meters above or below the floor). Say I tap my foot on the floor, wait three seconds, then tap my foot on the floor again. Using the language of time as a fourth dimension, we would say that the first foot-tap happened in four-dimensional space-time at the point x=0,y=0,z=0,t=0 and the second foot-tap happened at the point x=0,y=0,z=0,t=3. (To avoid confusion, we usually call points in four-dimensional space-time "events" and reserve the words "point" and "position" for three-dimensional space).

Likes Imran Makhdoom

1. What is the fourth dimension?

The fourth dimension is a theoretical concept in mathematics and physics that refers to a dimension beyond the three dimensions of length, width, and height. It is often represented as time or a spatial dimension that is perpendicular to the three dimensions we experience in our daily lives.

2. How do we explore the fourth dimension?

Exploring the fourth dimension is a complex and ongoing process that involves various mathematical and scientific theories and models. Some methods of exploration include studying higher dimensions in mathematics, using computer simulations, and conducting experiments in fields like quantum mechanics and string theory.

3. Is it possible for humans to understand the fourth dimension?

As humans, we are limited by our three-dimensional perception and understanding. However, through the use of mathematics and scientific models, we can gain a theoretical understanding of the fourth dimension. Fully comprehending the fourth dimension may not be possible, but we can continue to explore and expand our understanding of it.

4. What are some real-world applications of the fourth dimension?

The concept of the fourth dimension has been applied in various fields, including physics, computer science, and art. In physics, it is used to understand the fundamental laws of the universe, and in computer science, it is used in algorithms and data structures. In art, the fourth dimension has been explored in works of literature, film, and visual art.

5. Can we physically travel through the fourth dimension?

As of now, there is no evidence to suggest that physical travel through the fourth dimension is possible. However, some scientists believe that the fourth dimension may exist in the form of tiny, curled-up dimensions within space-time, and that it could be possible to manipulate these dimensions in the future. This is still a topic of ongoing research and debate.