How Can I Prove (1+x/n^n < e^x)?

• Thread starter wowolala
  • Start date
  • Tags
    E^x
In summary, the conversation is about proving that (1 + x/n)^n < e^x. The person tried taking the log on both sides but could not proceed further. They ask for help and are given a hint to use the binomial theorem and the power series for e^x. The solution is straightforward for x>0, but a little more complex for x<0. The person expresses gratitude for the help.
wowolala
the quesion is below, show that
show that ( 1+ [tex]\frac{x}{n}[/tex] ) ^n < e^x

at the first, i take log on both sides,.. but i couldn't go further.

can someboday help me?

thx

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What do you get when you apply log to both sides?

wowolala said:
the quesion is below, show that
show that ( 1+ [tex]\frac{x}{n}[/tex] ) ^n < e^x

at the first, i take log on both sides,.. but i couldn't go further.

can someboday help me?

thx
Expand the lhs by the binomial theorem and take the power series for e^x. The solution becomes obvious for x>0. For x<0, it is a little trickier - work with terms 2 at a time.

Last edited:
thx so much

1. How do I prove that 1+x/n^n < e^x?

To prove this inequality, you can use mathematical induction or the binomial theorem. Alternatively, you can also use the Taylor series expansion of e^x and compare it to the given expression.

2. Can you provide a step-by-step explanation of the proof?

Yes, the proof involves breaking down the given expression into smaller components and then using algebraic manipulations and mathematical properties to compare it to the Taylor series expansion of e^x. It is important to carefully justify each step in the proof.

3. Is there a specific value for n that makes the inequality true?

No, the inequality is true for all n ∈ ℕ (natural numbers). However, as n increases, the inequality becomes more accurate.

4. Can I use a different method to prove the inequality?

Yes, there are multiple ways to prove this inequality. Some other methods include using the Mean Value Theorem or the Intermediate Value Theorem.

5. How can I apply this inequality in real-life scenarios?

This inequality has various applications in mathematics and physics, such as in the study of exponential growth and decay. It can also be used to approximate values in engineering and economics problems.