Cracking an Egg: The 9.81N Mystery

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion surrounding the amount of force needed to crack an egg. The initial statement mentions that many websites claim it takes 25 Newtons, but this doesn't align with the force calculated in a drop test from an 8 meter building, which is only 9.81 Newtons. The conversation then delves into the concept of momentum and how the height from which the egg is dropped can impact the force it experiences. Ultimately, the confusion is resolved with the understanding that the height at which the egg is dropped must be considered when calculating the force needed to crack it.
kimdesug
I am confused that many web sites say that it took 25 N to crack the egg, it's ok but

When I do the drop test with 8 meter building. So, I calculate the force: 1kg(box) * 9.81m/s^2

So, the force tat impact my box is 9.81 Newton but the egg was crack. I just confuse!

Physics news on Phys.org
You dropped a box? Try dropping a single egg. How much does a single egg weigh? I never used them so take it 'x', w=mg
=9.8x
They say 25N no? well
25=9.8x
x=25/9.8
=2.55
an egg can't be 2.55 kg right?
At what height did they drop the egg?
momentum=mass*velocity.
when you drop the egg from great height, by the time it reaches the earth, the velocity increases much and hence momentum. And hence it experiences much force. U must consider the height.

Ty i get it

1. What is the 9.81N mystery in "Cracking an Egg"?

The 9.81N mystery refers to the force of gravity on Earth, which is approximately 9.81 newtons per kilogram. This force is what causes objects, such as eggs, to fall towards the ground when dropped.

2. Why does an egg crack when dropped from a certain height?

An egg cracks when dropped from a certain height because of the impact force it experiences upon hitting a hard surface. The force of gravity causes the egg to accelerate towards the ground, and when it hits the ground, the force of the impact is greater than the strength of the eggshell, causing it to crack.

3. Is it possible to drop an egg without cracking it?

Yes, it is possible to drop an egg without cracking it if certain precautions are taken. For example, the egg can be dropped onto a soft surface or can be placed inside a protective casing, such as a cushion or a container filled with water.

4. How does the height from which an egg is dropped affect the crack?

The higher an egg is dropped from, the greater the force of impact it experiences upon hitting the ground. Therefore, the higher the drop height, the greater the likelihood of the egg cracking. However, other factors such as the surface the egg is dropped on and the orientation of the egg can also affect the severity of the crack.

5. Why do some eggs not crack when dropped from the same height as others?

The strength of an eggshell can vary depending on factors such as the age of the egg and the conditions it was stored in. Older eggs and eggs with thinner shells are more likely to crack when dropped from a certain height compared to younger eggs and eggs with thicker shells. Additionally, the orientation of the egg when dropped can also affect the likelihood of cracking.