Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

About experimental particle physics

1. Jun 19, 2007 #1

Mk

I intend for this to be in General Discussion, which is why I put it here, please don't move it, but move it if you reeally have to. :frown:

http://www-d0.fnal.gov/Run2Physics/WWW/results/prelim/HIGGS/H23/H23.pdf
    I don't know much about particle accelerator data, but page 6 looks pretty interesting to me. See? This is where perusing the internet gets you. I obviously found the god particle.

Explination of what I thought when I read it:
    Figure 2 and Table V on pg. 6 are what I'm looking at, as well as the caption to Figure 2 as being a point of interest.

The peak of both of the graphs are at about 100 GeV on the x axis, I'd say. In Table V it mentions 100 GeV! Monte-Carlo comparisons are all comparably flat.

Now I don't know anything about whatever this report is about, but I know how to read, and now that my interest is perked, I ask what this whole thing means.

Thanks,
    Mk

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2007 #2
    The "God particle?" I very vaguely remember that phrase. Is it a nickname for the Higgs Boson, which (supposedly) gives matter the property of mass?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?