About Feynman-Kac equivalence between PDE and SDE

In summary, the Feynman-Kac theorem explains the relationship between PDEs in N dimensions and coupled stochastic differential equations in 1 dimension, where the average of initial boundary conditions is the solution to the PDE.
Charlls
Hi,

I am quite new to the concept of stochastic equations. I am learning of it from some financial textbooks, however they lack a bit in the approach.

Let me see if i understood Feynman-Kac: for every PDE in N dimensions (with second derivatives equivalent by unitary/orthogonal transformations to definite positive hessian) there is an equivalent system of N coupled Stochastic differential equations in 1 dimension, for which the average of the initial boundary conditions over the N stochastic variables is the solution to the PDE

I am correct so far?

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are mostly correct. The Feynman-Kac theorem states that for a PDE in N dimensions with a definite positive Hessian and with initial boundary conditions that can be represented as a functional of the solution, there is an equivalent system of N coupled stochastic differential equations in one dimension. The average of the initial boundary conditions over the N stochastic variables is indeed the solution to the PDE. Hope this helps!

Hi there,

Yes, you are correct in your understanding of the Feynman-Kac theorem. It is a powerful tool that establishes a connection between partial differential equations (PDEs) and stochastic differential equations (SDEs). In simple terms, it states that the solution to a certain type of PDE can be obtained by solving a corresponding SDE and taking the average of the initial conditions over the stochastic variables.

This equivalence is important because it allows us to solve difficult PDEs by transforming them into simpler SDEs. This is particularly useful in the field of finance, where many problems involve stochastic processes and require the use of SDEs. The Feynman-Kac theorem provides a powerful and elegant way to approach these problems.

I hope this helps clarify the concept for you. Keep exploring and learning about stochastic equations, as they have many applications in various fields. Best of luck in your studies!

What is the Feynman-Kac equivalence?

The Feynman-Kac equivalence is a mathematical result that connects partial differential equations (PDEs) and stochastic differential equations (SDEs). It states that under certain conditions, the solution to a PDE can be expressed as the expectation of a solution to a corresponding SDE.

What is the significance of the Feynman-Kac equivalence?

The Feynman-Kac equivalence allows for the use of stochastic methods to solve PDEs, which can be more efficient and accurate than traditional numerical methods. It also provides a deeper understanding of the connection between deterministic and stochastic processes.

What are the conditions for the Feynman-Kac equivalence to hold?

The Feynman-Kac equivalence holds when the PDE satisfies certain conditions, such as being linear and having appropriate initial and boundary conditions. Additionally, the SDE must have a corresponding form and satisfy certain regularity conditions.

What are some practical applications of the Feynman-Kac equivalence?

The Feynman-Kac equivalence has many applications in physics, finance, and other fields. It is commonly used in option pricing and risk management in finance, as well as in the study of diffusion processes in physics and biology.

Are there any limitations to the Feynman-Kac equivalence?

While the Feynman-Kac equivalence is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It only applies to certain types of PDEs and SDEs, and the assumptions made in the equivalence may not always hold in practical applications. Additionally, it may not always be possible to explicitly solve the SDE, which can limit its usefulness in some cases.