Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

About fracture

1. Dec 8, 2009 #1
    True or false: a large plate of a brittle material fractures at a higher applied tensile stress as compared to a small plate of the same material.

and
    True or false: the critical stress for a fracture of an internal crack of length 1mm is less than the critical stress for fracture of the same material with a surface crack of length .8mm

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2009 #2
    going by the the very basic equation for strain in any material being the change in length divided by the original length, if the stress on the object is constant then then the smaller the original length is, the less it'll strain before breaking.

I'm pretty sure about that, but I could also be horribly wrong, so my guess would be; True

4. Dec 11, 2009 #3

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Can one determined the effects on critical stress intensity (e.g. KIc) and the stress intensity of the different situations/geometries?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook