Simplifying Gamma(xy) Expression - Help Appreciated

In summary, the conversation discusses the simplification of the expression \Gamma(xy) using the gamma function and other functions. The conversation also mentions the use of Gauss multiplication formula and the possibility of separating the term (xy) as an argument. However, it is suggested that it may not be possible to further simplify the expression. A recommended reference for formulas is also provided.
mmzaj
what is the simplification of the following expression (in terms of gamma and\or other functions) ?

[tex]\Gamma(xy)[/tex]

i tried the following :

[tex]\Gamma(xy)=\int^{\infty}_{0} t^{xy-1} e^{-t} dt[/tex]

now let [tex]t^x = s[/tex]

=> ( after some manipulation )

[tex]\Gamma(xy)=\frac{1}{x}\int^{\infty}_{0} s^{y-1} exp{-s^\frac{1}{x}} ds[/tex]

but here is where I'm stuck .. so any help would be appreciated ..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think it is? We don't do your homework here. You have to show us your work and we help you get past difficulties.

u r absolutely right , my bad ! by the way , it's not a H.W , it's for a research !

thanx , i was aware of qauss multiplication theorem , but it constrains either x or y to be an integer , while I'm looking for the case where neither is !

How could you simplify [itex]\Gamma (xy)[/itex] further?? What do you mean by simplify if that's not good enough for you? Any identity that you can invoke will just make it more complicated. Is there something specific you had in mind?

yup , what i meant is separating (xy) , any other form - regardless of it's complexity - that separates (xy) as an argument is good enough .

You are not likely to find it, but I looked and I would not have been deterred by such a statement...

A good reference for formulas is http://functions.wolfram.com, in particular the gamma function (Use the 'PDF file' link on the left-hand plane,) and related functions.

The infinite product definitions for the gamma and beta functions are defined everywhere the functions can be defined (most of the complex plane, e.g. for the gamma function in complex plane less the non-negative integers.)

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a gamma expression?

A gamma expression is a mathematical expression that involves the gamma function, which is a special function used to extend the factorial function to non-integer arguments.

Why is it important to simplify gamma expressions?

Simplifying gamma expressions can make them easier to understand and manipulate. It can also help in solving equations and simplifying complex mathematical problems.

What are some common techniques for simplifying gamma expressions?

Some common techniques for simplifying gamma expressions include using the properties of the gamma function, such as the reflection formula and the duplication formula, and using identities involving other special functions like the beta function.

Can gamma expressions be simplified further?

In most cases, gamma expressions can be simplified further using various techniques. However, some expressions may not have a simple closed form solution and may require numerical approximation.

Are there any online tools available for simplifying gamma expressions?

Yes, there are several online tools and calculators available that can simplify gamma expressions. These tools can be helpful in quickly simplifying complex expressions and verifying results.