About general relativity

• I
  • Thread starter Akshay690
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I am reading general and special relativity from a book and I am stuck with these lines please can someone provide its detailed explanation
"Einstein demanded that the special principle of relativity should be valid also for Maxwell’s electromagnetic theory. This was obtained by replacing the Galilean kinematics by that of the special theory of relativity (see Ch. 2), since Maxwell’s equations and Lorentz’s force law is invariant under the Lorentz transformations. In particular this implies that the velocity of electromagnetic waves, i.e. of light, is the same in all Galilean frames, c = 299 792.5 km/s ≈ 3.00 × 108 m/s."

Answers and Replies

A.T.
Science Advisor
Here is how would modify it for clairity:
"Einstein demanded that the special principle of relativity should be valid also for Maxwell’s electromagnetic theory. This was obtained by replacing the Galilean transformation by Lorentz transformation, since Maxwell’s equations and Lorentz’s force law is invariant under the Lorentz transformations. In particular this implies that the velocity of electromagnetic waves, i.e. of light, is the same in all inertial frames, c = 299 792.5 km/s ≈ 3.00 × 108 m/s."
This video visualizes the difference between Galilean transformation by Lorentz transformation:

PeterDonis
Mentor
Insights Author
2019 Award
Which book?
Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity Øyvind Grøn andSigbjørn Hervik

Last edited by a moderator: