Converting Geometrized Units: The Role of G and c in Christoffel Symbols

• Thread starter snoopies622
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Units
In summary, the conversation discusses converting Christoffel symbols from geometrized units to non-geometrized units by multiplying terms containing g00 by c2 and terms like g0k by c. It also mentions that the Christoffel symbols have a dimension of L-1 for Cartesian coordinates, but this may vary for other coordinate systems and can be determined by looking at the definition and metric. The conversation ends with the conclusion that the dimensions of the connections always follow the formula of (dimensions of a)/(dimensions of b)(dimensions of c).
snoopies622
I am looking at some Christoffel symbols that are expressed using geometrized units, and the only variables to appear are m,r and theta. If I want to convert these to non-geometrized units, how do I know where to place the G's and c's?

Is there a consistent way of doing this sort of thing? Do I simply change the m's to mG/(c^2)'s and the t's to ct's? I understand that if I know in advance the dimensionalities that I am looking for then it is not a problem, but that is not always the case.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know of any way to do that correctly in all cases. I usually just take exactly the approach you mentioned, and it often works.

You can see from the geodesic equation that the Christoffel symbols have dimension L-1, if that helps. It also follows from the definition of the CS's. To get back to non-geometrical units you should multiply terms containing g00 by c2, and terms like g0k by c ( k = 1,2,3, time is x0). You have the correct substitution for m.

Thank you both.

Now I have a quick follow-up: If the Christoffel symbols have dimension L-1 (which is what I thought) then what about the case of

[tex]\Gamma ^{r} _{\theta \theta} = -r[/tex]

in plane polar coordinates? That doesn't look like L-1. There is an analogous counterexample in spherical coordinates, too.

Yes, it is only L-1 for the Cartesian coords. However, you can easily work out the dimensions by looking at the definition, and the metric. For the Schwarzschild metric

[tex]\Gamma ^{r} _{\theta \theta} = 2m - r[/tex] which clearly has dimension L, which it must in order that

[tex]\frac{d^2r}{d\lambda^2}[/tex] has the same dimensions as

[tex]\Gamma ^{r} _{\theta \theta}\left(\frac{d\theta}{d\lambda}\right)^2[/tex]

Sorry for my hasty first post, it looks like you can read off the dimensions of the connections from the geodesic equation.

It looks like the dimensions of [tex] \Gamma ^{a}_{bc}[/tex] always = [tex] \frac {(dimensions\ of\ a)}{(dimensions\ of\ b)(dimensions\ of\ c)}
[/tex].

Well that's easy to remember. Thanks again, Mentz.

1. What are geometrized units?

Geometrized units are a system of units used in physics that are based on fundamental physical constants, such as the speed of light (c) and the gravitational constant (G). These units are used to describe physical quantities in the framework of general relativity.

2. What is the role of c and G in geometrized units?

The speed of light (c) and the gravitational constant (G) play a crucial role in geometrized units as they are used to convert between different units of measurement. In these units, c is set to 1 and G has the value of 1/c^2, simplifying the equations used in general relativity.

3. What are Christoffel symbols and how are they related to geometrized units?

Christoffel symbols are mathematical objects used in the study of curved spaces, such as those described by general relativity. They are related to geometrized units through the use of the metric tensor, which is a fundamental component in the equations of general relativity.

4. How do you convert between geometrized units and standard units?

The conversion between geometrized units and standard units is done by using the equations c=1 and G=1/c^2. For example, to convert a length in geometrized units to meters, you would multiply the length by c (which is equal to 1 in these units).

5. What are some common applications of geometrized units?

Geometrized units are commonly used in the study of general relativity and other areas of theoretical physics. They are also used in cosmology to describe the large-scale structure of the universe. Additionally, they are used in numerical simulations and calculations in fields such as astrophysics and gravitational wave research.