Physics GRE Test: Preparing for a PhD Program

In summary, the Physics GRE test is a computer-based exam with 100 multiple-choice questions divided into three sections. To prepare for the test, it is recommended to start studying early and use study guides and practice tests. Not all PhD programs in Physics require the Physics GRE test, so it is important to research the specific requirements of the programs you are interested in. A good score on the Physics GRE test is around 830-850, although a perfect score of 990 is possible. The test can be taken up to three times in a 12-month period, but it is recommended to only take it twice with enough time in between for preparation.
Prins
I'm thinking of giving gre test
i don't know if i need only to give the subject test or general is must.
i'm thinking of getting into physics Ph.D program so Physics GRE test.
Please someone explain how am i supposed to give the test to be considered for a phd
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Check the grad programs you are thinking of applying to, and see what they require.

You need to take both

Likes Prins
radium said:
You need to take both
thanks

1. What is the format of the Physics GRE test?

The Physics GRE test is a computer-based exam that consists of 100 multiple-choice questions. It is divided into three sections: Classical Mechanics, Electromagnetism, and Quantum Mechanics. Each section has about 33 questions and is 1 hour and 30 minutes long.

2. How do I prepare for the Physics GRE test?

The best way to prepare for the Physics GRE test is to start studying early and practice regularly. Use study guides and practice tests to familiarize yourself with the format and content of the exam. Focus on your weak areas and review fundamental concepts.

3. Is the Physics GRE test required for all PhD programs in Physics?

Not all PhD programs in Physics require the Physics GRE test. Some programs may have alternative admission requirements. It is important to research the specific requirements of the programs you are interested in to determine if the Physics GRE test is necessary.

4. What is a good score on the Physics GRE test?

The Physics GRE test is scored on a scale of 200-990. A score of 990 is considered a perfect score. However, the average score for students admitted to top PhD programs in Physics is around 830-850. It is important to aim for a score that will make you a competitive applicant for the programs you are interested in.

5. How many times can I take the Physics GRE test?

You can take the Physics GRE test up to three times in a 12-month period. However, it is recommended to only take the test twice, with enough time in between to adequately prepare and improve your score. Some programs may also only consider your highest score.