Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

About ground state

1. Dec 29, 2008 #1

If I know the explicit form of potential, the energy and a specific eigenstate, but I don't know the general form of eigenstates and eigenvalues, can I tell if the state is ground state or not?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No i dont think so, why are you asking?
  4. Dec 29, 2008 #3

Science Advisor

A ground state wave function usually has no nodes.
  5. Dec 29, 2008 #4

I think you can prove this statement by noting that the ground state wave function minimizes
    [tex]\left < \psi \right| H \left | \psi \right>[/tex]
  6. Dec 30, 2008 #5
    The Variational Principle guarantees that

E_g \leq \langle \psi|H|\psi \rangle \equiv \langle H \rangle
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  7. Dec 30, 2008 #6
    In doing some QM problems a few weeks ago I noticed that, for the PARTICULAR potential I was working with, the product of the standard deviation of the position (sx) and the standard deviation of the momentum (sp) was exactly hbar/2 in the ground state (sx*sp=hbar/2), and the product grew larger for higher energy states. So the uncertaintly principle was closest to getting violated in the lowest energy state. I assume that's NOT true for other potentials, but maybe something you could look into depending upon what exactly you are trying to do.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?