About Homology

Hello there.This is about homology.In homology as I know we also study holes in spaces, so a circle has a hole, so does a sphere but quite differently.If we have half a circle or a somehow not quite closed curve but almost closed curve could we study it with groups or something like homology?Thank you.

Answers and Replies

You would examine it with the methods which represent the structural aspects you are interested in:
  • topology
  • algebraic topology
  • analysis
  • geometry
  • differential geometry
and additional methods like group actions dependent on these approaches. There is no answer until you settled what this curve is to you:
  • a one dimensional space
  • a connected, retractable space
  • a graph of a function
  • a segment of a circle
  • a curved space
The properties you are interested in determine the method, not the object itself.

• Informative
Likes Klystron
Infrared
Science Advisor
Gold Member
If you have a singular chain ##\sigma\in C_n(X)##, not necessarily closed (as your "half circle" isn't), but its boundary is a chain in a subspace ##A\subset X##, then you can view ##\sigma## as representing a class in the relative homology group ##H_n(X,A).##

There is a similar notion for relative homotopy groups, where elements of ##\pi_n(X,A)## are (based) homotopy classes of maps ##(D^n,\partial D^n)\to (X,A)## such that ##\partial D^n## is mapped to ##A## throughout the homotopy.

Last edited:
Likes mathwonk
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
It comes down ultimately to defining your cycle group, boundary group of the space at each "level" /dimension. That given, the factor n-groups will define the nth homology. An open arc as I understood you meant is contractible so all its homology groups are trivial. Harder, I would think is to study spaces like Gl(n, R), speces of continuous maps, etc., without any obvious geometry that I can tell.