Calculating Impulse in a Collision: Positive or Negative Velocity?

• Thread starter ph_lover3294
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impulse
In summary, the question is asking to find the impulse of a racket on a tinnes ball that has a mass of 150 gm and an initial velocity of 11.2 m/s, which collides and rebounds with a final velocity of 7 m/s. The correct answer is found by using the formula I = m (delta) v, where the change in velocity is always Vfinal - Vinitial. The sign convention for direction is arbitrary, but must be consistent when determining the final and initial velocities.
ph_lover3294

Homework Statement

a tinnes ball of mass 150 gm moves with velocity 11.2 m/s to collide with a racket , after collision it is rebounded with vilocity 7 m/s ...find :-the impulse of the racket on the ball.

Homework Equations

I = m (delta) v

what i want to know .. is
when do we use the vilocity with the negative direction ??

i mean when we answer it

can we calculate

0.15 * ( 11.2-7)= 0.63 kg.m/s

or

0.15* (11.2-(-7))=2.73 kg.m/s

so what is the right answer ?!

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about it. If we define the direction of the initial velocity to be positive, than what must the sign of the resultant final velocity be?

Hint: The ball's final velocity is opposite in direction to it's initial velocity.

i know

i thought that second answer is the right one as it is opposit in direction

but i found different answers in the books so i got confused

but also i want to understant ... we want to find the change in velocity so when we give the final one -ve sign we will add them so how ?

im sorry I am asking a lot of questios

thank u

The change in velocity is always Vfinal - Vinitial.

The direction that you call negative is arbitrary. For example, if you call toward the racket as positive, then away from the racket must be negative.

Pick a sign convention, then determine Vfinal and Vinitial.

thank u

What is impulse?

Impulse is a measure of the change in momentum of an object. It is equal to the force applied to an object multiplied by the time for which the force is applied.

What is the relationship between impulse and momentum?

Impulse is directly proportional to the change in momentum of an object. This means that a larger impulse will result in a larger change in momentum, and vice versa.

What are the units of impulse?

The units of impulse are kilogram meters per second (kg m/s) or Newton seconds (N*s).

How does the direction of an impulse affect an object's motion?

The direction of an impulse is the same as the direction of the force applied to an object. If the force and impulse are in the same direction, the object's motion will increase in that direction. If they are in opposite directions, the object's motion will decrease in that direction.

What is the difference between impulse and force?

Impulse is a measure of the change in an object's momentum, while force is a measure of the amount of push or pull on an object. Force is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, while impulse is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude.