How Do Invariant Hyperbolae Relate to Spacetime Distances?

• Thread starter snoopies622
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Invariant
In summary: I need to think about this some more. Thank you for the explanation.In summary, the hyperbola describes the worldline of an object at a certain point in time, with a constant acceleration in its own rest frame.
snoopies622
Consider the upper half of the hyperbola

[tex]

(ct)^2 - x^2 = a^2

[/tex]

where [itex] a^2 [/itex] is a positive constant. The spacetime distance between any point on this curve and the origin is the positive number a. A thought experiment helps give this some physical meaning to me: If I'm at x=0 with a set of identical clocks, and at time = 0 I simultaneously throw them all at different speeds along the x-axis, then the time on every clock when it hits the curve will be the same (a).

Now consider the right half of the hyperbola

[tex]

(ct)^2 - x^2 = b^2

[/tex]

where [itex] b^2 [/itex] is a negative constant. The spacetime distance between any point on this curve and the origin is also a constant, but I don't know of an analogous thought experiment to help give this hyperbola physical meaning.

Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
How about thinking of it as the worldline of an object at x = sqrt(-b^2) when t=0, with a constant acceleration in its own rest frame?

Torquil

torquil said:
How about thinking of it as the worldline of an object at x = sqrt(-b^2) when t=0, with a constant acceleration in its own rest frame?

Torquil
Yes, with a constant proper acceleration of c2/|b|.

I've seen it derived that the motion of a particle with constant proper acceleration makes that half-hyperbola (thanks to Dr. Greg in an earlier thread) but I don't have an intuitive feel for why a fixed spacetime distance would be the same thing as a fixed proper acceleration.

So I'll have to give it some more thought. Thank you both.

The clock measures a timelike length. The rod measures a spacelike length, which is just normal length. I don't know how to make an example as elegant as your clock throwing example, but think along the lines that for observers moving with different constant velocities, one hyperbola is the same temporal separation, while the other is the same spatial separation.

Imagine lots of rods each of rest-length b and all moving at different speeds longitudinally along the x-axis. They move in such a way that at t=0 all their left-ends are at the origin x=0. In the rest frame of each rod, the right-end of the rod, at that moment, will lie on the hyperbola

[tex]c^2t^2 - x^2 = -b^2[/tex]​

Furthermore, the spacetime envelope of all of the rulers' right ends is that hyperbola. Events to the right of the hyperbola will never be visited by any of the rods, every event on the hyperbola and to its left will be visited by at least one of the rods.

The attached diagram gives the idea. The solid blue lines are the two ends of one of the rods, the dotted blue line joins events that are simultaneous in the rod's rest frame.

Going back to the acceleration example, an observer whose worldline is that hyperbola experiences constant proper acceleration of c2/b, and determines that there is an "apparent horizon" at a distance of b behind her. This horizon behaves pretty much the same as the event horizon of a black hole: nothing, not even light, can cross it towards the observer and something "dropped" by the observer towards the horizon takes an infinite time to reach it according to the accelerating observer.

Attachments

• Hyperbola.png
    Hyperbola.png
    19.8 KB · Views: 446
Yes, I think those moving rods might be just what I was looking for. I tried to come up with something like that myself this afternoon but - forgetting that simultaneity is relative - couldn't make sense of the fact that only the v=0 rod was horizontal.

Hmm...

What is an invariant hyperbola?

An invariant hyperbola is a type of hyperbola that remains unchanged under certain transformations, such as translations, rotations, and reflections. This means that the shape, size, and orientation of the hyperbola remain the same after the transformation.

How is an invariant hyperbola different from a regular hyperbola?

An invariant hyperbola is a special type of hyperbola that has the property of remaining unchanged under certain transformations. Regular hyperbolas do not have this property and can change shape, size, and orientation under different transformations.

What are some real-life applications of invariant hyperbolas?

Invariant hyperbolas have various applications in mathematics and physics. They are used to study the behavior of complex systems, such as the motion of celestial bodies, and to model relationships between variables in statistical analysis and economics.

How do you graph an invariant hyperbola?

To graph an invariant hyperbola, you start by finding the center, vertices, and asymptotes of the hyperbola. Then, use the properties of the hyperbola to plot points and draw the curve. The resulting graph should remain unchanged under certain transformations.

What is the significance of invariant hyperbolae in geometry?

Invariant hyperbolae play an important role in the study of geometry, particularly in the field of projective geometry. They are used to define and classify conic sections, which are curves formed by the intersection of a plane and a cone. Invariant hyperbolae also have connections to other geometric concepts, such as symmetry and transformations.