Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

About laser

1. Oct 25, 2004 #1
    Hi
    Could you help me
    i want to ask about laser..
    is laser ionzing radiation or not?
    it verey important to me , some web site say it ionzing and some say it is not.
    could you help for this :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2004 #2

Mk

Perhaps some are ionizing and some are not. :smile:

4. Oct 25, 2004 #3

Mk

Ionizing radiation is radiation in which an individual particle (for example, a photon, electron, or helium nucleus) carries enough energy to ionize an atom or molecule.

The composition of ionizing radiation can vary. Electromagnetic radiation can cause ionization if the energy per photon is high enough (that is, the wavelength is short enough). Ultraviolet light, X-rays, and gamma rays are all ionizing radiation, while visible light, microwaves, and radio waves are not. Ionizing radiation may also consist of fast-moving particles such as electrons, positrons, or small atomic nuclei.

So, some LASERS are ionizing, and some are not. I do not know of any radio wave lasers, are there any? Hmmm... if microwave lasers are called masers, are radio wave lasers called... rasers? :biggrin:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2004
  5. Oct 25, 2004 #4
  6. Oct 25, 2004 #5
    It it possible (as stated in the paper you cite) for an extremely intense laser to excite an atom (or molecule) to a higher excited state and then absorb a second photon to ionize it. This is a process called two-photon or multi-photon absorption. However, in general, laser light is not ionizing radiation.

Don't worry about it. What is your native language? Perhaps someone here also knows it.

7. Oct 25, 2004 #6

Mk

In short, a very strong laser can ionize an atom, called multi-photon absorbtion. Usually lasers are not strong enough to do this.

8. Oct 26, 2004 #7
    Could you give me web site About multi-photon absorbtion But introduction Because ican't found basic information about
    this subject
    :smile:
    Thank you very much

9. Oct 26, 2004 #8
    Here is one site that talks about multi-photon absorption.

Here is another.

10. Oct 27, 2004 #9
    Mk

Laser Jock

Thak you very much :smile:
    you are help me alot .that very kind og you
    :shy:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?