Finding Laurent Series for Rational Functions with Partial Fractions

In summary: I don't know what to do!In summary, the student is trying to find the Laurent series of a rational function, and they are having trouble with it. They have tried a few algebraic tricks, but are running out of ideas. They are also asked for help with a shortcut for the Laurent series, but they are not sure if the result is convergent.
serchinnho

Homework Statement

I'm asked to find the Laurent series of some rational function and using partial fractions I encounter something like 1/(c-z)^2 with c > 0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried several 'algebraic tricks' like multiplying for z^2 or just staring at it several hours without any results... besides a some red eyes! I know I just can't multiply the Laurent series of 1/(c-z) and I ran out of ideas... Please, a little help!
By the way, if you remember your middle school and just do the division the result seems like the Laurent series 1/z^2+2c/z^3+3c^2/z^4+4c^3/z^5+... (and I say 'seems like' because I don't know which is the Laurent series...), why that happens?! Does it has to do with the uniqueness of the Laurent series?!?

Physics news on Phys.org
maybe it would help if you gave the rational function you're attempting to write a laurent series for & about which point & region you want it to be convergent... along with what you've tried, otherwise i don't know exactly what it is you're asking

click on tex code below to see how to write it, they open & close with the tags "tex" & "/tex" in [] brackets... eg to write a fraction use \frac{}{}
[tex] f(z) = \frac{1}{(z-c)^2} [/tex]
or
[tex] f(z) = \sum_{-\infty}^{\infty} a_n (z-c)^n} [/tex]

welcome to pf by the way

Yeah, I'm sorry, I'm asked to find the laurent series of
[tex]
f(z) = \frac{1}{(2-z)^2(1-z)^2}
[/tex]
in two rings: 1<|z|<2 and |z|>2. Using partial fractions I got
[tex]
f(z) = \frac{-2}{1-z} + \frac{1}{(1-z)^2} + \frac{2}{2-z} + \frac{1}{(2-z)^2}
[/tex]
and I can easily obtain the laurent series in both rings of the first and third partial fraction, but I'm stuck in the other two!

By the way, thanks!

should be a similar method

but as a shortcut, the 2nd & 4th are proprotional to square of 1st & 3rd resepctively, have you tried evaluating the square of each series?

The problem is I just can't multiply let's say the first by itself without knowing for sure if the result is a convergent series... I was told it had to do with the Binomial Series Theorem:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_theorem

And with that I got the 3rd and 4th in the first ring (but I already had the 3rd one) but to get the Laurent series of the 2nd in any of the two rings...

What is a Laurent series?

A Laurent series is a mathematical representation of a complex function as an infinite sum of powers of the variable, including negative powers. It is used to represent functions that have singularities or poles within their domain.

When is a Laurent series used?

A Laurent series is typically used to approximate functions that are not analytic, meaning they are not smooth and continuous. It is also used to study the behavior of functions around singularities or poles.

What is the difference between a Taylor series and a Laurent series?

A Taylor series is a special case of a Laurent series, where all the coefficients for negative powers of the variable are zero. This means that a Taylor series is only valid for analytic functions, while a Laurent series can represent a wider class of functions.

How is a Laurent series calculated?

To calculate a Laurent series, one must first find the singularities or poles of the function and then determine the coefficients for each power of the variable. This can be done using various methods, such as the method of residues or the Cauchy integral formula.

What is the significance of Laurent series in mathematics?

Laurent series are important in mathematics because they allow for the approximation and study of functions that are not analytic. They are also used in various areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics and electromagnetism, to model physical phenomena that involve singularities.