Understanding Limit Points: Definition & Meaning

In summary, a limit point x of a sequence x_1,x_2,... is a point where every open interval containing x also contains points x_n for infinitely many n. This does not necessarily mean that every point of the sequence is contained in the interval, but rather that there are infinitely many points from the sequence contained in the interval. This definition works for both sequences and sets, and in an everyday space like the real numbers, if every open interval around x contains even one x_n different from x, then x is a limit point.
JG89
In my textbook, it gives the following definition of a limit point:

"A point x is a limit point of a sequence x_1,x_2,... if every open interval containing x also contains points x_n for infinitely many n"

I am taking this to mean that every open interval containing x must also contain an infinite amount of other points from the sequence (though this doesn't necessarily mean that it contains every point of the sequence).

Is my understanding correct?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes. For example, 0 is a limit point of the sequence [itex]a_n = 1/n[/itex].
Although 0 is not itself in the sequence, any interval [itex](-\epsilon, \epsilon)[/itex] contains infinitely many points from the sequence. For example, for [itex]\epsilon = \frac{1}{\sqrt{10}}[/itex], the interval does not contain a1, a2 and a3, but it does contain all other elements.

Note that the sequence needn't convert, if you take
[tex]a_{2n} = 1/n, a_{2n + 1} = 1[/tex]
then 0 is still a limit point (and so is 1).

If I'm not mistaken, x is a limit point of a sequence S iff S has a subsequence S' which converges (Cauchy, and all) to S'. So basically, if part of the sequence has x as a limit. It's been a while since I did analysis though :smile:

technically, limit pts have nothing to do with sequences
i personally think limit pt defines some special property of cercain set

davyjones said:
technically, limit pts have nothing to do with sequences
i personally think limit pt defines some special property of cercain set

Limit points work just as well with sequences as with sets. Since the definition of a limit point does not refer at all to the order of the sequence, it's just a special case where the set is countably infinite.

your way of rephrasing the definition lost slightly some precision. The definition said that there are infiniutely many INDICES n for which x(n) belongs to the set, not infinitely many POINTS.

so the sequence could have repetitions. e.g. if the sequence is the constant sequence with all x(n) = x, then the definition is satisfied as you gave it for x to be a limit point.In an everyday space like the real numbers, and your language "interval" implies that is your space, it will be true that if every open interval about x contains an x(n) for even one n which is different from x, then also every interval contains an infinite number of them.

so you could say also that if every interval around x contains even one x(n) not equal to x, then x is a limit point. however if you want the constant sequence above to have x as a limit point, then you need the version you originally gave.

What is a limit point?

A limit point is a point in a set that can be arbitrarily close to other points in the set. In other words, no matter how small of a distance you choose, there will always be points in the set that are within that distance from the limit point.

How is a limit point different from a boundary point?

A limit point is a point within a set that is arbitrarily close to other points in the set, while a boundary point is a point on the edge of a set that is not necessarily part of the set. In other words, a boundary point can be a limit point, but not all limit points are boundary points.

Can a set have more than one limit point?

Yes, a set can have multiple limit points. In fact, a set can have an infinite number of limit points. This is because there can be points in a set that are arbitrarily close to each other, creating an infinite number of limit points.

How do limit points relate to the concept of convergence?

Limit points are closely related to convergence. In a convergent sequence, the limit point is the point that the sequence approaches. In other words, as the terms in the sequence get closer and closer to each other, they also get closer and closer to the limit point.

How are limit points used in mathematical analysis?

Limit points are used in mathematical analysis to determine the behavior of a set. By identifying limit points, we can determine if a set is open or closed, and if it is bounded or unbounded. Limit points are also used in proving theorems and solving problems in various fields of mathematics.