LTB Metric: Dimensions Explained

• Thread starter micomaco86572
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metric
In summary, the Lemaitre-Tolman-Bondi model uses a parabolic line element with components that have different dimensions. While the line element itself has a dimension of length, the coefficient of the second term, c, is dimensionless due to the use of natural units. This can cause confusion when considering the dimensions of the components R and Ω, which are also dimensionless. Ultimately, the use of natural units simplifies the equations but can lead to misunderstandings when considering the dimensions of the components.
micomaco86572
I was reading some papers about Lemaitre-Tolman-Bondi model these days, and was confused about the dimension of this metric.
As we know, the parabolic LTB line element takes the form:[tex]$ ds^{2}=-c^{2}dt^{2}+(R')^{2}dr^{2}+R^{2}d\Omega^{2}$[/tex].
In my GR lessons I was told that the metric is dimensionless. But here something seems to be paradoxical. If the coefficient of the second term is dimensionless, then we can deduce that R must has a dimension of length, which would conflict with the fact that the coefficient fo the thrid term, R, is required to be dimensionless. And vice versa.Forgive my poor English. lol.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi micomaco86572! :smile:

A metric isn't dimensionless … it has dimensions of length-squared. :wink:

c R' and Ω are dimensionless, and everything else is length-squared.

tiny-tim said:

A metric isn't dimensionless … it has dimensions of length-squared. :wink:

c R' and Ω are dimensionless, and everything else is length-squared.

Thx for your reply! :smile:

I may put it in a wrong way and didn't make it clear. I actually meant the component of the metric tensor is dimensionless. Of course the line element has a dimension of length. But why didi u say c is dimensionless? It should has the dimension of lenght/time, shouldn't it? And I am still not very sure about whether the [tex]\Omega[/tex] has a dimension or R. Could u show me some proof or evidence?

Thx again for your reply!

(just got up … :zzz:)

(oh, and have an omega: Ω and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
micomaco86572 said:
… the component of the metric tensor is dimensionless. Of course the line element has a dimension of length. But why didi u say c is dimensionless? It should has the dimension of lenght/time, shouldn't it? And I am still not very sure about whether the [tex]\Omega[/tex] has a dimension or R. Could u show me some proof or evidence?

c is dimensionless because length and time are the same dimension (just think about dt2 - dx2 :wink:).

Ω is dimensionless because it's area/radius2 (similarly, ordinary angle, = arc-length/radius, is dimensionless).

And R' is dimensionless because it's ∂R/∂r … see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemaitre–Tolman_metric" :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
tiny-tim said:
c is dimensionless because length and time are the same dimension (just think about dt2 - dx2 :wink:).

With respect, I think that's a slightly weird way of thinking of it, in the context of the equation being discussed in this thread. It is true that relativists often use the convention that c = 1, by measuring time and distance in appropriate units (e.g. years and light-years). Under that convention, you can regard "time" and "distance" as being dimensionally the same. But under that convention, the letter c doesn't appear in any equations, as it is 1.

If you have an equation with an explicit c in it, then you have to regard time and distance as being dimensionally different, otherwise why would you bother writing the c? So I don't really buy "c is dimensionless" but I do accept "1 is dimensionless" (when c = 1).

DrGreg said:
… If you have an equation with an explicit c in it, then you have to regard time and distance as being dimensionally different, otherwise why would you bother writing the c? So I don't really buy "c is dimensionless" but I do accept "1 is dimensionless" (when c = 1).

Hi DrGreg! :smile:

Yes, I always use c = 1, so I get confused when it isn't. :redface:

hmm … let's think …

although my reasoning was a bit iffy (in particular, I should have written "c2dt2 - dx2" :redface:),

I'm still going to maintain that length and time have the same dimensions, and that c is a dimensionless constant, like the 12 for converting feet to inches, or like the 4π for converting from some cgs units to SI units.

What do other people think? :smile:

I don't think c is dimensionless. As DrGreg said, 1 is dimensionless, but c is not. In natural unit c is set to be 1, so it is dimensionless, but in the SI units, it has to have a dimension like the gravitational constant G or some other constants.

1. What is the purpose of using LTB metric dimensions?

The purpose of using LTB metric dimensions is to accurately measure the dimensions of objects in a scientific and standardized manner. This allows for precise and consistent data collection and analysis.

2. How is LTB metric different from other measurement systems?

LTB metric is different from other measurement systems in that it is based on the International System of Units (SI) and is used specifically for scientific and technical measurements. It is also known for its use of decimal notation and prefixes.

3. What are the basic units of measurement in LTB metric?

The basic units of measurement in LTB metric are meter (m) for length, kilogram (kg) for mass, and second (s) for time. These units are used to derive other units for different physical quantities such as speed, force, and energy.

4. How does LTB metric handle conversions between units?

LTB metric uses a decimal system and prefixes to make conversions between units easier. For example, to convert from meters to centimeters, you simply multiply by 100. To convert from kilograms to grams, you multiply by 1000.

5. Why is it important to understand LTB metric dimensions?

Understanding LTB metric dimensions is important for scientists and researchers because it allows for accurate and consistent measurement and analysis of data. It also enables communication and collaboration among scientists from different countries, as it is a globally recognized measurement system.