Define a Function from a List in Maple

I would like to know if there is a specific function in Maple that can automatically determine the best interpolation method based on the data provided.In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of defining a function from a list in Maple, given that the plotted graph appears to be continuous. The suggestion is to use an interpolation method, such as Spline, to determine the best fit for the data. The speaker is also interested in knowing if there is a specific function in Maple that can automatically choose the best interpolation method.
penguin007
Hi,

I've just ploted a graph in Maple from a list thanks to the function pointplot(...,style=LINE). The graph(cf attachment) "looks like" a continuous function. So my question is the following:
Is it possible to define a function from a list in Maple (provided that the plot of this list seems continuous); I mean, I would like to get the value for any abscissa.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• Doc1.doc
    24 KB · Views: 215
Physics news on Phys.org
penguin007 said:
Is it possible to define a function from a list in Maple (provided that the plot of this list seems continuous);

A function can be defined from a set of discretely sampled points using an interpolation method. For example, using linear/bilinear/hermite/cosine interpolation or something more advanced like cubic spline or Legendre. Maple does have a Spline function for this

Thank you junglebeast

What is a function in Maple?

A function in Maple is a mathematical relationship that maps one set of numbers (called the domain) to another set of numbers (called the range). It is a way to describe how one variable depends on another variable.

What is a list in Maple?

A list in Maple is a data structure that can hold a collection of elements, such as numbers, strings, or other lists. It is denoted by square brackets [ ] and elements are separated by commas.

How do I define a function from a list in Maple?

To define a function from a list in Maple, you can use the proc command. This allows you to create a custom function by specifying the input variables and the operations to be performed on them. You can also use the map command to apply a function to each element in a list.

What is the syntax for defining a function from a list in Maple?

The general syntax for defining a function from a list in Maple is proc(input variables) function body end proc; or map(function, list); where the input variables are enclosed in parentheses and the function body is enclosed in curly braces. The map command takes in a function and a list as arguments.

Can I use a list as both the domain and range of a function in Maple?

Yes, you can use a list as both the domain and range of a function in Maple. This is known as a list function and it allows you to map a list of inputs to a list of outputs. The map command is useful for defining list functions in Maple.