Matter Waves: What Does Frequency Represent?

In summary, quantum mechanics uses a wave function to describe particles. The wave function refers to something that does not have a point location, but rather spreads out in space. In order to understand what is happening with a particle, you have to think about it as if it is not a single point, but rather a wave. Then, you can see how the amplitude of the wave is related to the probability of where the particle would be located.
snoopies622
I asked a question very closely related to this a couple months ago here

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=319693

so I'm not sure if this should be a new thread or a continuation of the old one. In any case, one of the premises used in constructing the Schrodinger equation is that the relation

[tex]

E = h \nu

[/tex]

holds not only for electromagnetic radiation but for matter as well. My question is - when it comes to matter, what does [itex] \nu [/itex] refer to? What is oscillating at frequency E/h ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
snoopies622 said:
What is oscillating at frequency E/h ?

The quantum-mechanical "wave function", [itex]\Psi(x,t)[/itex].

In quantum mechanics, the wave-functions which correspond to particles with definite momentum and energy are plane waves, i.e. functions of the form [tex]\psi(x,t) = A\exp[-i(kx - \omega t)][/tex]. As you can see, such plane waves are characterized by the two numbers k and ω called the wave number and angular frequency respectively. These are related to the energy and momentum of the particle by the formulas

[tex] E = \hbar \omega [/tex]

[tex] P = \hbar k [/tex]

So the wave-function of these particles can be written as

[tex]\psi(x,t) = A\exp[-\frac{i}{\hbar}(Px - Et)] [/tex]

Px - Et is a relativistic invariant whose Lorentz covariant expression is PμXμ, where Pμ is the four-momentum (E,P).

Last edited:
What is oscillating at frequency E/h ?

Matter particles as well as photons have an associated frequency, so something is oscillating. In the case of photons, we're used to wavelike properties when they come in groups we know as light waves. But unlike these familiar waves, particles in quantum mechanics are described by probability waves, which previous posts called the wave-function. Rather than trying to think (erroneously) about the particle as a ball vibrating around at frequency E/h, you have to de-focus your mental image a bit and imagine something that simply does not have a single point location, but rather spread over space in the distribution of a wave and that also oscillates in time. Then the amplitude of this wave is directly related to the probability distribution in space of where the particle would be located if it began interacting classically (e.g. when it interacts with most macroscopic systems). The oscillating frequency of the probability wave is the E/h in your question. Until the classical-like behavior starts showing up, the wavelike properties of photons and matter particles are indeed physical in that they interact with each other like waves would interfere with each other when they meet. While the quantum nature of particles is often lost when they start forming "large" systems, classical light waves still carry the wavelike nature of their photon constituents.

This has been helpful. Introductory physics texts always mention the diffraction experiments in the late 1920's that confirmed the de Broglie hypothesis for electron wavelength, but I don't remember seeing one say anything about directly observing an electron frequency. I understand the meaning of the complex probability wave [itex] \psi [/itex] oscillating with time, but since this interpretation of the wave function wasn't published until 1926, I cannot help but wonder exactly what de Broglie himself had in mind. Does it matter anymore?

What is the relationship between frequency and matter waves?

Frequency represents the number of waves passing through a point in a given unit of time. In matter waves, frequency is related to the energy and momentum of the particle described by the wave. Higher frequency matter waves have higher energy and momentum, while lower frequency matter waves have lower energy and momentum.

How is frequency measured in matter waves?

Frequency is measured in units of hertz (Hz) in matter waves. One hertz is equal to one wave passing through a point in one second. In scientific notation, frequency is often measured in units of cycles per second (cps) or megahertz (MHz).

What determines the frequency of a matter wave?

The frequency of a matter wave is determined by the energy and momentum of the particle described by the wave. In quantum mechanics, this is described by the de Broglie relation, which states that the wavelength of a matter wave is inversely proportional to its momentum. Therefore, a higher momentum particle will have a shorter wavelength and a higher frequency.

Can the frequency of a matter wave be changed?

Yes, the frequency of a matter wave can be changed by changing the energy or momentum of the particle described by the wave. This can be achieved through various methods such as accelerating the particle or changing its mass. In certain systems, the frequency of a matter wave can also be changed by external forces such as magnetic or electric fields.

What are some applications of matter waves with different frequencies?

Matter waves with different frequencies can have different properties and behaviors, making them useful for a variety of applications. For example, high frequency matter waves can be used in medical imaging to produce high-resolution images of biological tissues. Low frequency matter waves can be used in particle accelerators to study subatomic particles and their interactions. Additionally, matter waves with very high frequencies, such as gamma rays, can be used in cancer treatment to destroy cancer cells.