Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

About Neutrinos

1. May 19, 2008 #1
    Hello !

I will probably start a phd thesis about neutrinos (theoretical/phenomenological aspect) on october ...
    I need some hints about references for those among you who know the subject well.

Thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2008 #2
    Very good idea : the topic is quite hot. Good luck ! :smile:
    I certainly do not classify as "knowing the subject well". But maybe you can tell us more on what you search and what your background is ? Do you want historical references/publications, or more recent reviews ? Would a textbook be suitable for you ? How well are you familiar with the standard model and quantum field theory ?

Probably you need to understand why massive neutrinos do not fit into the standard model. This is not as trivial as it may seem at first sight. Pierre Ramond had a book entitled "Journeys Beyond the Standard Model" which among other things has an excellent discussion. Almost 10 years old now but will help you very much if you want to go through any recent paper.
  4. May 19, 2008 #3
    Bonjour Humanino :)

Thanks for the reply and the encouragement...
    I want to be more familiar with neutrinos ... so yes ..historical references/publications would be welcomed along with recent reviews.
    The subject is about the particle physics aspect of the double beta decay..
    (with BSM models like SUSY,GUT.)
    I dont know more than that...

I'll try to get Ramond's book...thanks for the ref.

5. May 21, 2008 #4

any idea ?

6. May 21, 2008 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

7. May 21, 2008 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would start by asking your thesis adviser.
  8. May 21, 2008 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You might want to refer to the current issue of Rev. Mod. Physics[1]. In fact, I highly recommend anyone starting in physics research to first look at various review journals, such as Rev. Mod. Phys, Physics Report, Rep. Prog. Phys., etc. for the wealth of review articles (and references) in many fields. These review articles give a snapshot of our current understanding (and the current direction of research work) in a particular field.

[1] F.T. Avignone, III et al., Rev. Mod. Phys. 80, 481 (2008).
  9. May 21, 2008 #8
    Indeed it seems like an excellent advice. :smile:
  10. May 21, 2008 #9
    Hello world !

Thanks a lot folks !

11. May 28, 2008 #10

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?