About neutrons, theyve been bothering me

• Thread starter kylemadigan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Neutrons
In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether light or heavy elements would be better at stopping slow moving neutrons. The participants consider factors such as absorption and scattering, and conclude that different nuclei have different abilities to stop neutrons. They also mention the use of boron as an absorber in nuclear reactors and the role of water as a moderator. The original thought is ultimately resolved and the participants express gratitude for the exchange of ideas.
kylemadigan
Hey guys, posted this in HW help, but its actually just a thought i had in chem class.
I was wondering if light or heavy elements would be better at stopping slow moving neutrons? And how come? By heavy and light, i mean mass.

Heres what i think. I thought a heavy element would have a better chance of stopping particles because they have a high probability of smacking the heavy elements' nucleus, but does this apply to neutrons flying through other heavy elements? Kinda like Rutherford's experiment eh?

Thanks guys. :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to more specific about "stopping". Neutrons can be absorbed or scattered when interacting with nuclei (there are also other possibilites, but I won't go into them). Absorption depends on the particular nucleus involved. For example boron is a very good absorber and is used to stop nuclear reactors when necessary. Scattering will gnerally slow neutrons down, although at some point the neutrons will be at the same temperature as the medium (that's why these are called thermal) and will continue at the same speed on average. Finally faster neutrons are slowed down fastest by light elements - that is why water (hydrogen) is the moderator for most reactors.

YEAH!

thanks man. So i guess my thought was slightly off, considering i didnt think about absorbtion or scattering. Thanks again man. Finally the crazy thought i had in class is quenched. In fact i think ill look up the other ways that a neutron could be stopped also, they seem interesting.

Thank you once again for providing me with insight. :wink:

1. What are neutrons?

Neutrons are subatomic particles found in the nucleus of an atom. They have a neutral charge and contribute to the mass of an atom.

2. How were neutrons discovered?

Neutrons were discovered in 1932 by James Chadwick, who observed their presence in the nucleus of an atom through experiments with alpha particles.

3. What is the role of neutrons in nuclear reactors?

Neutrons play a crucial role in nuclear reactors by initiating and sustaining nuclear reactions. They are responsible for splitting the nucleus of an atom, releasing energy that is used to generate electricity.

4. Can neutrons be found outside of an atom?

Neutrons are unstable and cannot exist outside of an atom for extended periods of time. However, they can be artificially produced in nuclear reactions and used in various applications, such as in medical treatments and scientific research.

5. How do neutrons affect the stability of an atom?

The number of neutrons in the nucleus of an atom can affect its stability. Too many or too few neutrons can make an atom unstable and prone to radioactive decay. This can lead to the formation of different elements or isotopes.