Newton's Laws of Motion: Translation & Angular Forms, Assumptions & Equivalence

In summary, the three Newton's laws of motion have both translation and angular forms, with equivalent expressions for Newton's second law. The assumptions for their application in classic mechanics are unclear and it is questioned whether the "equivalent" forms are truly equivalent. It may be helpful to understand why there is an angular "equivalent" of F=ma and its relation to momentum and E_k = \frac{1}{2}mv^2, which is derived from F = ma and can be seen as the second law in terms of energy.
Lil Frank
please write down the three Newton's laws of motion in both translation and angular forms, including their "equivalent" expressions of Newton's second law. what are the assumptions for their application in classic mechanics? are those "equivalent" forms really equivalent? why?

this is from my mid-term. i don't know how to answer this though it seems simple. in fact, i don't really understand what the question is about. especially the ""equivalent" part.
can anyone please help me with it? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think they mean that they want you to explain why there is an angular "equivalent" of
[tex]
F=ma
[/tex]

which looks like

[tex]
T=I\alpha
[/tex]

theirs also
[tex] I = F \Delta t [/tex]

in relation to momentum and

[tex] E_k = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 [/tex]

as it derives from F = ma, so it would be 2nd law in terms of energy.

1. What are Newton's three laws of motion?

Newton's first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. Newton's second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. Newton's third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. What is the difference between translation and angular motion?

Translation motion refers to the movement of an object in a straight line, while angular motion refers to the rotation of an object around an axis.

3. What assumptions are made in Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion assume that the object in motion is in a vacuum or that there is no air resistance acting on it. They also assume that the object is a point mass with no size or shape.

4. How are translation and angular motion equivalent?

Translation and angular motion are equivalent because they both obey Newton's laws of motion. The same principles of force, mass, and acceleration apply to both types of motion.

5. How do Newton's laws of motion apply to real-world situations?

Newtons's laws of motion can be used to explain and predict the behavior of objects in various situations, such as the motion of planets in space, the movement of vehicles on the road, or the flight of a ball. They are also the basis for many engineering and technological advancements, such as airplanes, rockets, and cars.