About non inertial dynamics

In summary, the conversation is about understanding the direction of the Coriolis force and finding the force amplitude using relevant equations. The person is stuck at translating "due north from a position at colatitude ##\theta##" and keeps getting a radial direction towards the Earth's center of mass. They are seeking clarification on the direction of the vector ##\vec \Omega## and its orthogonality to due north.
drop_out_kid
Homework Statement
I am stuck at getting the right direction of the coriolis force.. I can get the force amplitude by formula tho...
Relevant Equations
Coriolis force, centrifugal force
1650169278243.png

So I don't understand "due north from a position at colatitude ##\theta## " , whether how I translate it...

I keep getting that direction should be radial...(toward Earth CM)

This is my work:

1650169455634.png

Thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
drop_out_kid said:
Homework Statement:: I am stuck at getting the right direction of the coriolis force.. I can get the force amplitude by formula tho...
Relevant Equations:: Coriolis force, centrifugal force

View attachment 300106

So I don't understand "due north from a position at colatitude ##\theta## " , whether how I translate it...

I keep getting that direction should be radial...(toward Earth CM)

This is my work:

View attachment 300107

Thank you so much!
What is the direction of the vector ##\vec \Omega##? What directions are orthogonal to both that and due north?

What is non-inertial dynamics?

Non-inertial dynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects in non-inertial reference frames, which are frames of reference that are accelerating or rotating.

What is the difference between inertial and non-inertial reference frames?

Inertial reference frames are frames of reference that are not accelerating or rotating, and the laws of physics hold true in these frames. Non-inertial reference frames, on the other hand, are accelerating or rotating, and the laws of physics may not hold true in these frames.

What are some examples of non-inertial reference frames?

Some examples of non-inertial reference frames include a car turning around a curve, a rotating merry-go-round, and a spaceship accelerating in outer space.

What is the Coriolis force?

The Coriolis force is a fictitious force that appears in non-inertial reference frames due to the rotation of the frame. It acts on objects that are in motion in the frame, causing them to appear to be deflected from their intended path.

How is non-inertial dynamics important in real-world applications?

Non-inertial dynamics is important in many real-world applications, such as in the design and operation of vehicles and machines that operate in non-inertial reference frames. It is also crucial in understanding the behavior of objects in the Earth's atmosphere and oceans, which are non-inertial reference frames due to the rotation of the Earth.