What Happens When Non-Newtonian Fluid Is Placed on a Speaker?

In summary, the conversation discusses a viral video on YouTube where a non-Newtonian fluid is placed on a speaker and reacts in a wild manner when turned on. The speaker's frequency affects the movement of the fluid, and changing other variables such as the amplitude and type of fluid can result in different patterns. Non-Newtonian fluids have varying levels of viscosity, and examples such as custard and ketchup demonstrate their unique properties.
cibui
Hi guys,

to the point, I watched this video in youtube about how the guy put non-Newtonian fluid on a speaker and when they turn the speaker on, the fluid just went wild. as I'm still a high school student, i don't really understand this phenomenon, and I'm interested to know what will happen if i am to change the various factors/variables, for example if i change the speaker to higher frequency speaker, i wonder what will happen??

so, can you guys like explain to me what actually happen here and what variables/factors affect the way the fluid work? I read on wiki but not much help...

Physics news on Phys.org
Well there is nothing magical about the fluid that makes it go wild, its the same phenomenon that causes waves in water. If they used water and changed the frequency the ripples would change.

A non Newtonian fluid is one that doesn't have a constant viscosity (different levels of shear it can supprt). This means that the apparent 'thickness' of the liqid change swith the force you apply to it. There are many types, some that get thinner with more force applied and some that get thicker with more force applied.

The liquid on the speaker gets thicker with more force, which means at certain frequencies the bottom layer will start to act more like a solid allowing the liquid to 'climb'. And generally look like some weird monster thing.

By altering the amplitude, you'll get a greater effect, by altering the freqency you'll get a different pattern. Hope that helps.EDIT on another note, some other examples of non Newtonian fluids and their interesting effects. Custard is a dilatent (becomes more viscous with more shear force) meaning you can walk on it but if you stop you'll sink. Ketchup is a pseudoplastic (it becomes thinner with more shear) which is why it gets stuck in the glass bottle until you bang it, and then as it stats to flow it pours out and drowns your food.

Last edited:

Hello,

Non-Newtonian fluids are interesting substances that do not follow the standard laws of fluid dynamics, as described by Sir Isaac Newton. In simpler terms, these fluids do not have a constant viscosity or resistance to flow like most fluids do. Instead, their viscosity changes depending on the amount of force applied to them. This means that they can behave like a solid under certain conditions, and like a liquid under others.

In the video you watched, the non-Newtonian fluid was likely a mixture of cornstarch and water, which is known as a shear-thickening fluid. This means that as more force is applied to it, its viscosity increases and it becomes more solid-like. When the speaker was turned on, the vibrations caused by the sound waves created enough force to make the fluid behave like a solid, causing it to move and dance on the surface of the speaker.

As for changing the variables, such as using a higher frequency speaker, it is difficult to predict exactly what will happen without conducting experiments. However, it is likely that the fluid will respond differently depending on the frequency and intensity of the sound waves. This is because different frequencies and intensities will create different amounts of force on the fluid, causing it to behave in different ways.

Other factors that can affect the behavior of non-Newtonian fluids include temperature, pressure, and the composition of the fluid itself. These variables can also be explored through experimentation to better understand how they affect the fluid's properties.

I hope this helps to explain the phenomenon you observed in the video. Non-Newtonian fluids are a fascinating area of study and there is still much to be learned about their behavior and potential applications. Keep exploring and asking questions, and who knows, maybe one day you could be the scientist who discovers something new about these unique substances.

What is a Non-Newtonian fluid?

A Non-Newtonian fluid is a type of fluid that does not follow the traditional Newtonian laws of viscosity. This means that its viscosity, or resistance to flow, can change depending on the amount of force applied to it. Examples of Non-Newtonian fluids include ketchup, honey, and blood.

What are the different types of Non-Newtonian fluids?

There are several types of Non-Newtonian fluids, including shear-thinning, shear-thickening, and viscoelastic fluids. Shear-thinning fluids, such as ketchup, become less viscous when a force is applied to them. Shear-thickening fluids, such as cornstarch and water mixture, become more viscous when a force is applied. Viscoelastic fluids, such as slime, exhibit both solid and liquid properties depending on the amount of force applied.

How are Non-Newtonian fluids used in everyday life?

Non-Newtonian fluids have many practical applications. They are used in food products, such as sauces and salad dressings, to improve texture and consistency. They are also used in industrial processes, such as drilling fluids, to control viscosity and prevent equipment damage. In addition, Non-Newtonian fluids are used in medical procedures, such as blood clotting agents and artificial joints.

What are the challenges in studying Non-Newtonian fluids?

There are several challenges in studying Non-Newtonian fluids. One of the main challenges is accurately measuring and predicting their behavior, as it can vary greatly depending on factors such as temperature, pressure, and shear rate. Another challenge is understanding the underlying molecular interactions that contribute to their unique properties.

How are Non-Newtonian fluids different from Newtonian fluids?

The main difference between Non-Newtonian and Newtonian fluids is their response to shear stress. Newtonian fluids have a constant viscosity, meaning they flow the same regardless of the amount of force applied. Non-Newtonian fluids, on the other hand, have a variable viscosity that can change with the amount of force applied. This makes their behavior more complex and challenging to study.