Ohm's Law and Its Application to Semiconductors

In summary, the conversation discussed the ohm law for electricity, which states that resistance (R) is equal to voltage (V) divided by current (I). It was noted that for a resistor, R is constant and V vs I is a straight line, while for a semiconductor, R is non-linear. The question was raised whether the ohm law is still applicable for semiconductors, and it was explained that it can still be used over short ranges of the load line.
KFC
The ohm law for electricity is given by R = V/I

Yesterday, my friend just took an experiment report to me which show the relation between R, V and I on a resistor and semiconductor separately. I saw that for resistor, R is almost a constant so V vs I is a straight line. However, for semiconductor, R is no longer a constant. My question is if I get a table to show a relation of V and I for a semiconductor, can I still apply R=V/I to calculate the resistance for difference I and V? What I am really confusing is in some textbook, it said the ohm law is R=V/I which gives a linear relation b/w V and I. So does it mean even I can use the same formula to calculate R but since it is no longer a linear relation, it is no longer the ohm law?

Physics news on Phys.org
Electrical resistance is notoriously non-linear, as the factors which define the resistance can actually change its value.

Ohms law shows that as the applied voltage across the resistor increases, the resistance increases. Yet, if the applied current increases than the resistance decreases.

What you are describing for the semi-conductor is called a load line, and shows the non-linearity between input voltage to output current and vice versa. It is this non-linearity which makes possible amplification and other effects such as modulation and oscillation. Ohm’s law is still applicable over short ranges of the load line, and the resistance at any point can be calculated either by calculus, or by drawing a tangent line to a point on the load line and calculating along the linear tangent line. The resistor can be considered as linear along the operating range of the resistor.

What is Ohm's Law?

Ohm's Law states that the current through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance. This can be represented by the equation: V=IR, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance.

How is Ohm's Law applied to semiconductors?

In semiconductors, the resistance is not constant and can change depending on factors such as temperature and impurities. However, Ohm's Law still applies as long as the current and voltage are within the linear region of the semiconductor's current-voltage curve.

What is the significance of Ohm's Law in semiconductor devices?

Ohm's Law is essential in understanding and designing semiconductor devices. By knowing the relationship between current, voltage, and resistance, we can accurately predict and control the behavior of these devices.

What are some common applications of Ohm's Law in semiconductors?

Some common applications include using Ohm's Law to calculate the resistance of a semiconductor device, determining the voltage drop across a specific component, and analyzing the power dissipation in a circuit.

Are there any limitations to Ohm's Law when applied to semiconductors?

Yes, Ohm's Law is only applicable to the linear region of a semiconductor's current-voltage curve. Outside of this region, the resistance is not constant, and Ohm's Law does not hold true. Additionally, Ohm's Law does not apply to non-ohmic materials, such as diodes and transistors.