Preparing PhD in American University Without Physics Background

In summary, if you have a background in biology or management and are passionate about physics, you may be able to get a PhD in physics without having taken a physics course. However, this is an extremely difficult and unlikely endeavor.
Rizak
Greetings to the members and staff of this forum which I find very good.

I want to know if it is possible to prepare a PhD in an American university without having a course in physics.
I have a background in natural science (biology) and in management but I am passionate in physics. I knew that physicists (including well-known) followed this route.

I would to prepare a thesis on the possible gravitational anomalies with original experimental projects.

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Rizak said:
I want to know if it is possible to prepare a PhD in an American university without having a course in physics.

The chances of someone being able to succeed in doing this are extremely low. Physics is a cumulative subject and all graduate work is going to call on the physics one learned as an undergrad.

If your interested in graduate work in physics, then my suggestion is to:

1. Take the Physics GRE practice exams. How well do you do?

2. Find a university you are considering applying to and ask to see their old Physics PhD qualifying exams.These are usually indicative of the undergraduate material the department expects students to be proficient in.

3. If you don't do well on these exams (and, in all likelihood, anyone without a background in physics won't do well) then you seriously need to consider going back and getting a B.S. in Physics if you are seriously considering a physics graduate program.

If you're asking if you can be admitted to a PhD program in physics without having taken a single physics course, the answer is no. If you're asking if you can be admitted to a PhD program in physics with an undergraduate degree in another field, the answer is that it depends on what courses you have taken. Engineering, physical chemistry, and math students who've done substantial physics coursework are generally able to get in. Biology students with only first year physics are not.

I'm not sure why you would even want to do such a thing.

Choppy said:
I'm not sure why you would even want to do such a thing.

Because it is more than 5 years I thought about topics in physics, and the variation of constants (if proven) will open many doors and will be an especially exciting area of ​​research beyond the standard model .
I thought on experiments that can be made for that.

1. Can I pursue a PhD in American university without a background in physics?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a PhD in American university without a background in physics. Many universities offer PhD programs in fields such as engineering, computer science, and mathematics that do not require a physics background. However, keep in mind that some programs may have prerequisite courses or may require you to have a strong understanding of physics concepts.

2. Will I be at a disadvantage compared to other students with a physics background?

It is possible that having a physics background may give some students an advantage, but it is not a determining factor for success in a PhD program. Your success will ultimately depend on your dedication, hard work, and ability to learn and apply new concepts. Additionally, universities often provide resources such as tutoring and study groups to help students succeed in their program.

3. What steps can I take to prepare for a PhD program without a physics background?

If you are interested in pursuing a PhD without a physics background, there are a few steps you can take to prepare yourself. You can enroll in introductory physics courses at a community college or online, attend workshops or seminars related to your field of interest, and reach out to professors or researchers in your desired field for guidance and advice.

4. Are there any specific skills or knowledge I should have before applying to a PhD program without a physics background?

While specific requirements may vary depending on the program, some general skills and knowledge that may be helpful include a strong foundation in mathematics, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and a passion for research and learning. Additionally, having some basic knowledge of physics concepts and principles can also be beneficial.

5. Is it possible to switch to a PhD program in physics after completing my undergraduate or master's degree in a different field?

Yes, it is possible to switch to a PhD program in physics after completing a degree in a different field. However, keep in mind that you may need to take additional courses to meet the prerequisites for the program. It is also important to discuss your plans with the admissions committee and seek guidance from professors in the physics department to ensure a smooth transition.