Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

About pi-N scattering

1. Jun 2, 2015 #1
    Pi-N scattering is useful for research on neucleon resonance.But pi meson is not stable,how could it be controled to collide with a neucleon?

While,virtual photon is also used to excite neucleon,it is internal line particle,which is determined by a reaction,so how hard could it be controled accurately?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2015 #2
    Sorry ,there is some error in my operation,I want to delate one of them.

4. Jun 2, 2015 #3

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Pi-N scattering in which experiment?
    For example you can get pi-N scattering by placing some "target" near the creation of the pion.... (in fact a relativistic charged pion=momenta over some ##m_\pi##'s, can travel for some meters before decaying. A momentum p~1GeV~10##m_\pi## would bring the pion to travel for about L~80meters before decaying)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  5. Jun 2, 2015 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

6. Jun 2, 2015 #5

ChrisVer

Gold Member

I happened to ask for a confirmation (which I got) yesterday about the formula I had deduced for a similar scenario:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/tau-momentum-for-decay-length.816902/
    in that formula you could solve for [itex]l_{lab}[/itex] instead of momentum (you can try different momenta [itex]p[/itex]) and [itex]m[/itex] the mass of the pion. The lifetime is given in Vanshee's post above.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook