1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

About poisson's equation

1. Nov 22, 2008 #1
    I have read that Einstein's formulation of gravity [tex]G_{ab}=\frac{8 \pi G}{c^4}T_{ab}[/tex] is analogous to the differential form of Newton's version [tex]\nabla ^2 \phi = 4 \pi G \rho[/tex] with the metric tensor and energy-momentum tensor in the modern form playing the same roles as gravitational potential and density in the classical one, respectively.

My question: why did the 4 become an 8?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In simple, though rough terms, Newton's version is in a 3 dimensional space and measures the field at the surface of a sphere and that area is given by 4\pi r^2.

Einstein's equation is in a 4 dimensional space and measures the field at the surface of a 4-sphere and that area is given by 8\pi r^3.

4. Nov 22, 2008 #3
    I may be miscalculating but I'm getting the 'surface volume' of a 3-sphere to be [tex]2 \pi ^2 R^3 [/tex] (instead of [tex]8 \pi R^3[/tex]).

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  5. Nov 22, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi snoopies622! :smile:

(have a pi: π and a rho: ρ :wink:)
    Yes, according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4-sphere#Volume_of_the_n-ball, the 4-ball has volume π2r4/2, and surface area 2π2r3

(the surface area is always n/r times the volume of the n-ball)
    The mathematical reason:

we require R00 = 4πGρ.

But R00 = constant(T00 - 1/2 T g00),

and T00 - 1/2 T g00 = ρc4 - 1/2 ρc4,

so the constant must be 8πG :smile:

(i got this from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein_Field_Equations_(EFE)#The_correspondence_principle :redface:)

… but I'd still like someone to explain the physical significance of this! :rolleyes:

6. Nov 22, 2008 #5
    Thanks, tiny-tim. I'll spend some time looking through that Wikipedia derivation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?