Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

About program a OS ?

1. Mar 5, 2007 #1
    I wondered how to program a operating system such as microsoft windows, linux , can anyone tell me ? Is it you can program a OS using C++ ?
    Another is how to program bios ? Also using c++ ?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

Perhaps you can look at the source code of something like Debian.
  4. Mar 6, 2007 #3
    To answer your question is not simple. You should comprehend the Assembly language of your architecture extremely well. You can program most sections of an OS in C++, while the others require Assembly. Read the manual of your CPU. If you are writing an OS for the x86 arch, you can either implement the AMD or Intel System Programming Manual.

The famous book on OS Design is "Operating Systems: Design and Implementation." I personally am not fond of this book. I disagree with the method of teaching OS design.

In order to program an OS, one is in great need of complete comprehension of one's computer. Then you can study the concepts of OS design; programming an OS shall become simple after that knowledge has been obtained.
  5. Mar 15, 2007 #4
    Excellent answer arevolutionist!!
  6. Mar 15, 2007 #5
    Thank you. Operating System design is my favorite subject within computer science.
  7. Mar 15, 2007 #6
    "And then somebody came up with the great idea to run two programs on the same machine at the same time ... but to do that you need an operating system".
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?