What are the required mathematics for studying Quantum Field Theory?

In summary: Other important concepts include the Schrodinger equation, state/operator theory, and perturbation theory.
Black Integra
Hello everyone!
I want to study QFT and I want to know all of the required mathematics for it.
I know most of quantum mechanics topics
-wave function
-schrodinger equation
-state, operator
-perturbation theory
I know some of special relativity. And I almost familiar with einstein's notation.
I don't know much about symmetries, group theory, and other abstract algebras.

Please list me some of the required maths for QFT.
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Some additions to those you have mentioned:

Fourier analysis
Langrangian, Hamiltonian mechanics, Principle of least action.
Lie groups and algebras
Tensors

Whether you learn it at the physics of math department can also be important. Many might not have any use for all the mathematical proofs that are involved.

Black Integra said:
Hello everyone!
I want to study QFT and I want to know all of the required mathematics for it.

Renormalization is the ugliest part of QFT, and usually not treated well mathematically.
But see http://arnold-neumaier.at/ms/ren.pdf

Haha
I might have to start from Lie algebras as expected. That renormalization may be the very last one.

Thank you people. :)

torquil said:
Some additions to those you have mentioned:

Fourier analysis
Langrangian, Hamiltonian mechanics, Principle of least action.
Lie groups and algebras
Tensors

Whether you learn it at the physics of math department can also be important. Many might not have any use for all the mathematical proofs that are involved.

I want to qualify my answer just a bit. It depends on what you mean by "required". It is possibly to study quantum field theories that do not involve e.g. Lie groups or tensors. E.g. the quantum theory of a real scalar field avoids some of the mathematical preliminaries.

However, it still involves Lagrangian/Hamiltonian mechanics, Fourier analysis and renormalisation, which is at the heart of quantum field theory if you want to consider perturbation theory beyond the lowest order approximation.

So Lie groups is not really the most important mathematical discpline involved in QFT, although it is used extensively in more complicated theories, e.g. gauge theories like QED.

Also, you need to know about the wave equation and its solutions.

1. What is Quantum Field Theory?

Quantum Field Theory (QFT) is a theoretical framework used to describe the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions with each other. It combines elements of quantum mechanics and special relativity to create a mathematical model that can accurately predict the behavior of particles and fields on a very small scale.

2. How is Quantum Field Theory different from other theories?

Unlike classical theories, which describe particles as individual objects with definite positions and momenta, QFT describes particles as excitations of underlying fields. It also takes into account the principles of quantum mechanics, which allow for particles to exist in multiple states at once.

3. What is the importance of Quantum Field Theory?

QFT is the basis for our current understanding of particle physics and plays a crucial role in many areas of modern physics, including the Standard Model of particle physics and the study of quantum gravity. It has also been used to make accurate predictions and guide experiments in fields such as cosmology and condensed matter physics.

4. How does Quantum Field Theory relate to the concept of energy?

In QFT, energy is seen as the result of the interactions between particles and fields. The energy of a system is quantized, meaning it can only exist in discrete units, and it is conserved in all interactions. QFT also allows for the creation and annihilation of particles, which can change the energy of a system.

5. Is Quantum Field Theory a complete theory?

No, QFT is still a theoretical framework and is constantly being refined and improved upon. It is currently the most accurate and successful theory we have for describing the behavior of particles and fields on a small scale, but it is also believed to be incomplete. Many physicists are working towards a more complete theory, such as a quantum theory of gravity, that can better explain phenomena on both small and large scales.