About quantum mechanics textbook

In summary, the conversation discussed different textbooks on quantum mechanics that would be suitable for a beginner. The recommended books were Morrison's Understanding Quantum Theory and The Principles of Quantum Mechanics by Dirac. Some people find Dirac's book to be old-fashioned or difficult, but others disagree. It was also mentioned that Dirac's book has a lot of mathematics and a profound physical description. In order to research superstrings (M-theory), a strong understanding of quantum mechanics and mathematics would be necessary.
guo_xiaobo
I want ask a question, which textbook of quantum mechanics is appropriate for a beginner? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The easiest to read, IMO, is Morrison's Understanding Quantum Theory.

Interesting, clear, starts from the basics: The Principles of Quantum Mechanics / Dirac.
(Some people consider this book old-fashioned or difficult, but I don't think so.)

The Dirac's book has too many mathmatics, and the physical description is profound, If read it, May be I need some basic knowledge of general physics more.
by the way, I want to do rearch in superstrings(M-theory), What do I need about quantum mechnics?

thank you for JohnDubYa , salsero.

:rofl: The math, I´d say (and a lot more math) :rofl:

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. It describes the fundamental principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy on a microscopic scale.

2. Why is quantum mechanics important?

Quantum mechanics is important because it helps us understand the behavior of particles and the interactions between them. It has been used to develop technologies such as transistors, lasers, and computer memory, and has also led to groundbreaking discoveries in fields like chemistry, biology, and materials science.

3. What topics are typically covered in a quantum mechanics textbook?

A quantum mechanics textbook typically covers topics such as wave-particle duality, Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, the Schrödinger equation, quantum states and operators, quantum measurement, and various applications of quantum mechanics.

4. Is quantum mechanics difficult to understand?

Quantum mechanics can be challenging to understand due to its complex mathematical principles and abstract concepts. However, with patience and dedication, it is possible to gain a solid understanding of its principles and applications.

5. Can quantum mechanics be applied to everyday life?

While quantum mechanics is mainly applied in the field of physics and technology, it does have some everyday applications. For example, it is used in the development of medical imaging technologies, such as MRI machines, and in the production of electronic devices like smartphones and computers.