About question of prove in thermodynamics

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems related to thermodynamics. The first problem involves finding an expression for the variation of pressure with altitude, while the second problem involves calculating the mass of a mole of dry air. The ideal gas law is used in both problems, and the resulting equations provide a way to continue and approach the problems.
opeth_35
I have started new to learn thermodynamics but i can't continue about this two problems. If you help me . I will appreciate about that.. actually How should I continue? what is going to be my approach? I wonder this.
thank you.

Problem 1.16. The exponential atmosphere.
(a)
Consider a horizontal slab of air whose thickness (height) is dz. Ifthis slab is at rest, the pressure holding it up from below must balance both the pressure from above and the weight of the slab. Use this fact to find an expression for dP/ dz, the variation of pressure with altitude, in terms of the density of air.
(b)
Use the ideal gas law to write the density of air in terms of pressure, temperature, and the average mass m of the air molecules. (The information needed to calculate m is given in Problem 1.14.) Show, then, that the pressure obeys the differential equation

Problem 1.14. Calculate the mass of a mole of dry air, which is a mixture of N2 (78% by volume), 02 (21%), and argon (1%).

Physics news on Phys.org
(The atomic masses are 14.0 for N2, 32.0 for 02, and 39.9 for argon.)Answer: Problem 1.16: (a) Consider a horizontal slab of air whose thickness (height) is dz. If this slab is at rest, the pressure holding it up from below must balance both the pressure from above and the weight of the slab. Thus, the total pressure, P, is given by the equation: P = P + mgdz where m is the mass of the air in the slab, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and dz is the thickness of the slab. Taking the derivative with respect to z, we obtain: dP/dz = mg Thus, the pressure varies linearly with altitude, if the mass of air in the slab is constant. (b) Using the ideal gas law, the density of air can be written as: ρ = P/RT where P is the pressure, T is the temperature, and R is the universal gas constant. To calculate the mass of a mole of dry air, we can use the information given in Problem 1.14. The mass of a mole of dry air is: m = (14.0*0.78 + 32.0*0.21 + 39.9*0.01) / 6.02 x 10^23 Substituting this expression into the ideal gas law equation, we obtain: dP/dz = (mRT)/g Therefore, the pressure obeys the differential equation: dP/dz = (mRT)/g

1. What is the definition of thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationship between heat, work, energy, and temperature. It studies how these quantities interact and change in various systems, including chemical reactions, engines, and physical processes.

2. How do you prove a thermodynamic principle?

Thermodynamic principles are typically proven through experiments and observations. Scientists use mathematical equations and models to analyze and interpret the data collected from these experiments to validate the principles.

3. Can thermodynamics be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, thermodynamics principles are applicable to various real-life situations, such as energy production, climate change, and even cooking. Understanding thermodynamics can help us make more efficient and sustainable use of energy and resources.

4. What is the importance of thermodynamics in science?

Thermodynamics is a fundamental science that underpins many other fields, such as chemistry, engineering, and biology. It helps us understand the behavior of matter and energy, and its laws and principles are crucial in the development of new technologies and processes.

5. Is thermodynamics a constant or changing field of study?

Thermodynamics is a constant field of study, but it is constantly evolving as new discoveries and advancements are made. The fundamental principles and laws of thermodynamics are well-established, but there is still much to learn and explore in this field.