1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

About Repulsion Force

1. Jul 25, 2010 #1
    Hi all.

I have a few questions:

1. Is repulsive force present in any certain situation other than magnetic fields?

2. I read that a big enough electromagnet can attract or repel even a human being. Can the same effect attainable from a big enough magnet?

3. What materials are not being affected by this repulsive force?

4. And why a certain material is influenced and others are not influenced by it?

Thank you in advance, looking forward for your answers!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2010 #2
    Hi there,

I will try to summarize:

1. electrical repulsion can also exist.
    2. electromagnet are not different from magnet. anyway there magnetic field are identical.
    3. no. A very strong magnetic field will affect any materials.
    4. Depends on the atomic structure of the material.

Cheers

4. Jul 26, 2010 #3
    But can concrete, for example, be repelled or attracted?

Thank you for the reply.

Is there any way to classify them? Like which structure are being attracted and which are being repelled?

5. Jul 26, 2010 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Look up "diamagnetism" and "paramagnetism".

6. Jul 26, 2010 #5
    Hi there,

With a strong engouhg magnetic field, even concrete would get some magnetic properties. For the attraction/repulsion, the question is kinda hard to answer. I can only say that it would react to the magnetic field.

There is a classification of matter according to magnetic fields. I am definetly not an expert in the electromagnetism field, but I know about paramagnetic, diamagnetic, and ferromagnetic. You need to make a simple search on the Web to find out about the atomic magnetic properties of each class.

Cheers

7. Jul 26, 2010 #6
    It all depends on the magnetic susseptibility of the material. All materials like humans cats dogs and other animals as well as concrete are diamagnetic substances and so they repel any magnetic field applied on them

8. Jul 26, 2010 #7
    Thank you very much for the answers, going to do some searching on the web regarding paramagnetism, diamagnetism, and ferromagnetism.

Meanwhile, before finding this forum I found a curious article, what do you think of it?
    Is it possible?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook