Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

About Schrödinger-Heisenberg connection

1. Mar 3, 2013 #1
    I stumbled over something reading Green's Matrix Mechanics (1965) this afternoon. There was an equation very similar to one I saw in Dirac's Lectures on Quantum Field Theory (1966), where he talks about the equivalence (or near equivalence) of the Schrödinger and Heisenberg formulations of ordinary quantum mechanics:

[tex]

U_{S} = e ^ {-iHt/ \hbar} U_{H} e^ {iHt/ \hbar }

[/tex]

I take it that the U's are matrices, but what are the exponential terms? Vectors? Other matrices? If H is a matrix, what does it mean to raise a real number (e) to the power of a matrix? If instead they are real numbers, wouldn't the two exponential terms then simply cancel each other out?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2013 #2
  4. Mar 3, 2013 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

They are operators. H is an operator, the exponential of an operator is defined through the series expansion as an infinite sum. Of course, technicalities such as convergence, domain mustn't be overlooked.

5. Mar 3, 2013 #4
    Hey thanks, I had no idea!

6. Mar 3, 2013 #5

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

Usually a function of an (hermitean) operator is defined using the spectral decomposition. Let A be an hermitean operator, let a be its eigenvalues and let |a> define the eigenvectors = an orthonormal basis.

Then

[tex]f(A) = f(A) \sum_a|a\rangle\langle a| = \sum_a f(a)\,|a\rangle\langle a|[/tex]

7. Mar 3, 2013 #6
    Interesting . . Will try this on a few very simple examples and see what happens.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook