Atomic Structure: "Long Range" and "Short Range" Translation

In summary, the conversation is discussing the topic of atomic structure and the motion of planes of atoms in a lattice, specifically in regards to dislocations and defects. The terms "slipping", "easy directions", and "slip systems" were mentioned, as well as "long range" and "short range" translations, which may refer to the motion of dislocations in different types of lattices. The concept of zig-zagging and climbing was also brought up. The conversation is seeking clarification and further explanation on these topics.
tony_engin
Hi everyone
I missed some content in my lecture about atomic structure of atoms.
In the lecture, the lecturer talked something about "slipping" , "easy directions" and "slip systems"...I don't really catch these stuff in this lecture. But I could find these in textbook. What makes me most confusing is "long range" and "short range" translation. I just recall that they are something about how an atom slip over a closest packed plane, and the lecturer throw out some "short range" and "long range" and finally said that it is some "zig-zag" movement for face-centered-cubic indeed...
something like this...Is there anyone know what is the content? Can you explain to me?
Really many thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I recall anything about "long range/short range traslations". Are you perhaps speaking of Burger's vectors ?

This thread belongs in Materials Science.

Slipping has to do with the motion of planes of atoms with respect to one another. This invovles the motion of dislocations (defects) in the lattice.

There are point defects and line defects.

Dislocations can 'glide' and 'climb'. The gliding is in the direction of the planes of atoms. A dislocation may climb (move perpendicular to the initial atomic plane) over an obstacle, such as an interstial atom, and then proceed on a path parallel to the original path.

Zig-zagging probably refers to a combination of 'glide' and 'climb'.

Your short / long range might have to do with stacking fault energies and the resulting characteristics of dislocation movement in different kind of lattices ? For example when you compare partial dislocation behavior in typical fcc and bcc metals.

1. What is "long range" translation in atomic structure?

"Long range" translation in atomic structure refers to the movement of electrons between energy levels in an atom. This process involves the absorption or emission of photons and results in changes in the electron's position in the atom's electron cloud.

2. How does "short range" translation differ from "long range" translation?

"Short range" translation in atomic structure refers to the movement of electrons within an energy level. This process involves the exchange of energy between electrons and the nucleus, resulting in changes in the electron's position within the same energy level.

3. What determines the energy levels available for electrons in an atom?

The energy levels available for electrons in an atom are determined by the atom's atomic number and the number of protons in its nucleus. Each energy level can hold a specific number of electrons, with the innermost level holding the least and subsequent levels holding more.

4. Can electrons move between energy levels at will?

No, electrons cannot move between energy levels at will. They can only move between energy levels by absorbing or emitting photons with a specific amount of energy. This is known as the quantized energy levels of electrons in an atom.

5. How does the movement of electrons between energy levels contribute to the properties of elements?

The movement of electrons between energy levels contributes to the properties of elements by determining their chemical and physical properties. The number and arrangement of electrons in an atom's energy levels determine its reactivity, stability, and ability to bond with other atoms.