About spin precession in a magnetic field

In summary, the spin precession for a magnetic field pointing in the y-direction is complex, but what the meaning of complex energies is unclear and the proof for this is not what was referenced.
Francisco Dahab
So I was trying to see what the result for the spin precession would be if the magnetic field pointed in the y-direction instead of z. I feel like either something with what I'm doing is wrong or, I'm just overlooking something because I keep getting complex energy eigenvalues. So what I'm doing is:
Initially, we need to find the Hamiltonian which is just
$$H=-\gamma (B \cdot S)=-\gamma B_0S_y=\frac{-\gamma B_0 \hbar}{2}
\begin{pmatrix}
0 & -i \\
i & 0
\end{pmatrix}
$$

Then I proceed to find the eigenvalues, taking the determinant of this matrix and setting it equal to zero

$$
\begin{pmatrix}
-E & \frac{i \gamma B_0 \hbar}{2} \\
\frac{-i \gamma B_0 \hbar}{2} & -E
\end{pmatrix} \Rightarrow E^2+\left(\frac{\gamma B_0 \hbar}{2}\right)^2=0 \Leftrightarrow E=\pm\frac{i\gamma B_0 \hbar}{2}
$$
which is complex, but what's the meaning of complex energies? And if this isn't wrong why won't the spin precess (because once you apply time evolution you won't have an exponential with an imaginary exponent you'll have an ##e^{- t}##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you simply made an algebra mistake in your second equation. Perhaps you are forgetting the minus signs which occur in the definition of the determinant?

As an aside, sometimes people consider non-hermitian Hamiltonians in order to effectively describe unstable particles (there is time dependence like [itex]e^{-t/T}[/itex]). But if your Hamiltonian is hermitian like in this case, your eigenvalues are always real (there is an exact proof of this which I recommend you review, it should be in most quantum mechanics textbooks).

king vitamin said:
It looks like you simply made an algebra mistake in your second equation. Perhaps you are forgetting the minus signs which occur in the definition of the determinant?
As an aside, sometimes people consider non-hermitian Hamiltonians in order to effectively describe unstable particles (there is time dependence like [itex]e^{-t/T}[/itex]). But if your Hamiltonian is hermitian like in this case, your eigenvalues are always real (there is an exact proof of this which I recommend you review, it should be in most quantum mechanics textbooks).

Oh god, you're right thanks, this is embarassing... I got caught up in all of the minus' that are there and I went with it because of the i's in the ##\sigma_y## matrix. As for the proof I can think of one off the top of my head, which uses the commutativity of a hermitian operator (when doing an inner product) and therefore the eigenvalue must be equal to it's complex conjugate, which implies it's real. Although I'm unsure as to whether or not it's the proof you are referring to.
As for the thing about unstable particles, how can a particle have complex energy? Is it just the case that because it is non-hermitian the actual energies we measure are real?

When people use non-Hermitian Hamiltonians with complex eigenvalues, the usual interpretation is that the real part of the eigenvalue is the energy while the complex part is half of the decay rate of that eigenstate. For example, if you have two complex eigenvalues
[tex]
E_1 - i \Gamma_1/2, \qquad E_2 - i \Gamma_2/2,
[/tex]
and you prepare an initial state as a superposition of the two eigenstates
[tex]
|\psi(t=0)\rangle = a |E_1,\Gamma_1 \rangle + b |E_2,\Gamma_2 \rangle
[/tex]
then at a later time, we have
[tex]
|\psi(t)\rangle = a e^{-i E_1 t} e^{- \Gamma_1 t/2} |E_1,\Gamma_1 \rangle + b e^{-i E_2 t} e^{- \Gamma_2 t/2} |E_2,\Gamma_2 \rangle
[/tex]
The factor of 1/2 is because the probability of the state is given by the magnitude squared, so if you start in an eigenstate it will decay exponentially with a mean time given by [itex]\Gamma_{1,2}[/itex].

This is largely just a mathematical trick used to describe unstable states, but it can be useful sometimes. Whenever you are describing a complete system your Hamiltonian must always have only real eigenvalues.

Likes Francisco Dahab
king vitamin said:
When people use non-Hermitian Hamiltonians with complex eigenvalues, the usual interpretation is that the real part of the eigenvalue is the energy while the complex part is half of the decay rate of that eigenstate. For example, if you have two complex eigenvalues
[tex]
E_1 - i \Gamma_1/2, \qquad E_2 - i \Gamma_2/2,
[/tex]
and you prepare an initial state as a superposition of the two eigenstates
[tex]
|\psi(t=0)\rangle = a |E_1,\Gamma_1 \rangle + b |E_2,\Gamma_2 \rangle
[/tex]
then at a later time, we have
[tex]
|\psi(t)\rangle = a e^{-i E_1 t} e^{- \Gamma_1 t/2} |E_1,\Gamma_1 \rangle + b e^{-i E_2 t} e^{- \Gamma_2 t/2} |E_2,\Gamma_2 \rangle
[/tex]
The factor of 1/2 is because the probability of the state is given by the magnitude squared, so if you start in an eigenstate it will decay exponentially with a mean time given by [itex]\Gamma_{1,2}[/itex].

This is largely just a mathematical trick used to describe unstable states, but it can be useful sometimes. Whenever you are describing a complete system your Hamiltonian must always have only real eigenvalues.

Oh ok, that makes sense. It's actually really cool haha. Thanks :)

1. What is spin precession in a magnetic field?

Spin precession refers to the phenomenon of a spinning object, such as an electron, changing its orientation in response to a magnetic field. This is due to the interaction between the magnetic field and the intrinsic magnetic moment of the object, causing it to precess or rotate around the direction of the magnetic field.

2. How does spin precession occur?

Spin precession occurs due to the interaction between the magnetic moment of a spinning object and an external magnetic field. The magnetic moment is a measure of the strength and direction of the object's magnetic field, and it is influenced by the orientation and speed of the object's spin. When placed in a magnetic field, the magnetic moment of the object will align itself with the magnetic field, causing the object to precess around the direction of the field.

3. What are the applications of spin precession in a magnetic field?

Spin precession in a magnetic field has various applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and materials science. It is used in nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) to study the structure and properties of molecules and materials. It also plays a crucial role in the operation of devices such as spin valves, magnetic sensors, and magnetic storage media.

4. What factors affect spin precession?

The rate of spin precession is affected by several factors, including the strength and direction of the external magnetic field, the strength and orientation of the object's magnetic moment, and the speed and stability of the object's spin. In addition, the physical properties of the object, such as its mass and charge, can also impact the rate of spin precession.

5. Can spin precession be controlled?

Yes, spin precession can be controlled by manipulating the external magnetic field or by changing the physical properties of the object. By changing the strength and direction of the magnetic field, the rate and direction of spin precession can be altered. Additionally, techniques such as spin resonance and spin injection can be used to manipulate the spin of an object and control its precession.