Square Root Rules: x^(1/2), abs(x), F(x), & More!

In summary, there are various rules for square roots and other roots, but they have restrictions on the values of x and y. However, there is no rule for simplifying the square root of a sum or difference. The closest approximation would be the binomial formula, which involves infinite sums.
Emmanuel_Euler
hi guys
i know all square root and any root(cubic...) rules

sqrt(x)=x^(1/2)
sqrt(x^2)=abs(x)
sqrt(xy)=sqrt(x)*sqrt(y)
sqrt(x/y)=sqrt(x)/sqrt(y)
sqrt(-x)=isqrt(x)
f'(x)=1/2sqrt(x)
F(x)=2/3*(x^3/2)
my question is:
is there any rules for this sqrt(x+y)
or sqrd(x-y)??

any help please??

Physics news on Phys.org
No, there is no way to simplify a square root (or other root) of a sum or difference.

It's simply a case of "multiplication and addition do not play well together!"

Likes Emmanuel_Euler
Yes of course.
Yesterday i was searching about this(sqrt(x+y)),i found nothing.
you are right there is no rule for this sqrt(x+y)
thanks for help friend.

Emmanuel_Euler said:
hi guys
i know all square root and any root(cubic...) rules

sqrt(x)=x^(1/2)
sqrt(x^2)=abs(x)
sqrt(xy)=sqrt(x)*sqrt(y)
You should be aware that there are restrictions on x and y; namely, both must be nonnegative. I.e., x ≥ 0 and y ≥ 0. Without these restrictions you get nonsense like ##1 = \sqrt{1} = \sqrt{-1 * -1} = \sqrt{-1} * \sqrt{-1} = i * i = -1##
Emmanuel_Euler said:
sqrt(x/y)=sqrt(x)/sqrt(y)
There are restrictions here, as well, with x ≥ 0 and y > 0.
Emmanuel_Euler said:
sqrt(-x)=isqrt(x)
Not true. For example, if x = -4, then ##\sqrt{-(-4)} = \sqrt{4} = 2##. ##i\sqrt{-4} = i * (2i) = 2i^2 = -2##.
Here you seem to be tacitly assuming that -x will be negative, which is not true in general.
Emmanuel_Euler said:
f'(x)=1/2sqrt(x)
F(x)=2/3*(x^3/2)

my question is:
is there any rules for this sqrt(x+y)
or sqrd(x-y)??

any help please??

Likes Emmanuel_Euler
Mark44 said:
You should be aware that there are restrictions on x and y; namely, both must be nonnegative. I.e., x ≥ 0 and y ≥ 0. Without these restrictions you get nonsense like ##1 = \sqrt{1} = \sqrt{-1 * -1} = \sqrt{-1} * \sqrt{-1} = i * i = -1##
Not true. For example, if x = -4, then ##\sqrt{-(-4)} = \sqrt{4} = 2##. ##i\sqrt{-4} = i * (2i) = 2i^2 = -2##.
Here you seem to be tacitly assuming that -x will be negative, which is not true in general.
Friend:i know all the rules you wrote.
i was too busy to write them all(in my question).
But if you really want to help me,find a rule for this sqrt(x+y).

Mark44 said:
Forgive me!, i was busy and hurry.

Emmanuel_Euler said:
Friend:i know all the rules you wrote.
i was too busy to write them all(in my question).
But if you really want to help me,find a rule for this sqrt(x+y).
There is no such rule.

Period.

Likes Emmanuel_Euler
You are right.

That helps.
thank you for help,i will read it later!

What is the square root of a number?

The square root of a number is a value that, when multiplied by itself, gives the original number. For example, the square root of 25 is 5 because 5 x 5 = 25.

How do you find the square root of a number?

The square root of a number can be found using a calculator or by using the square root symbol (√) followed by the number. For example, √25 = 5.

What are some common square root rules?

Some common square root rules include the product rule (√(ab) = √a x √b), the quotient rule (√(a/b) = √a / √b), and the power rule (√(a^2) = |a|).

What is the difference between x^(1/2) and √x?

Both x^(1/2) and √x represent the square root of x. However, x^(1/2) is a mathematical notation, while √x is the square root symbol used in calculators and textbooks.

How are square roots used in real life?

Square roots are used in many fields such as engineering, physics, and finance. They are used to calculate distances, areas, and volumes, as well as in formulas for mortgage payments and compound interest.