Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

About steam generators

1. Jan 10, 2017 #1
    hi every one ,

I need an information about the development of steam generator technology in nuclear power plants . please suggest me some websites or textbooks for reference .
    thank you in advance .

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2017 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What have you found in your searching so far? It would seem that there would be a lot of detailed information available that you could find with a Google search, no? :smile:

4. Jan 10, 2017 #3
    Yeah i found information about steam generators . Like how it work ,different types of steam generators,materials used for it ,about U-tubes,issues ,degradation and some more details . Actually iam looking for the development of steam generators from generation -1 to generation -4.

5. Jan 10, 2017 #4

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

One can find information on steam generators from the IAEA

http://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/publications/PDF/te_981_prn.pdf (1997)
    http://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/Publications/PDF/TE_1668_web.pdf (2011 update)

B&W adopted so-called Once-Through Steam Generators (PTSG), while Westinghouse and Combustion Engineering (CE) adopted recirculating or U-tube steam generators.

The material of choice for the tubing was Inconel 600, but it was found that the alloy was particularly susceptible to IGSCC and Ni-dissolution. Siemens favored Incoloy 800, and modern steam generators use either Incoloy 800 or Inconel 690, with a reduced proportion of Ni. Heat treatment is another important characteristic in addition to composition and fabrication methods.

Somewhat related but of importance these days are passive heat removal systems.
    http://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/publications/PDF/te_1624_web.pdf

EPRI has published The Steam Generator Reference Book, Revision 1 (~50 MB)
    Look at www.nrc.gov/docs/ML1021/ and find ML102180302.pdf (use safe target as)
    Downloading can be slow.

6. Jan 11, 2017 #5
    Thank you very much for giving me links and details .

7. Jan 11, 2017 #6
    I once saw an old study done by C-E looking at all kinds of potential SG configurations: horizontal, vertical, U-tube, once-through, cylindrical, spherical, integral steam drum, remote steam drum, downcomer on the circumference, downcomer down the centerline, etc. etc. Ability to fabricate is a big factor. The typical designs we see today (vertical U-tube and vertical once-through) weren't just the first thing that popped into their minds. Unfortunately this kind of design study is still proprietary, trade secret stuff.

8. Jan 12, 2017 #7
    Thank you very much for your reply. please could you send me the link or information about the study done by C-E.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted