What Happens When Photon Energy Differs in Stimulated Emission?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between stimulated photons and the energy difference between two energy levels of an atom. It is mentioned that the probability of stimulated emission decreases as the energy of the photon deviates from the energy difference. It is also mentioned that Einstein coefficients B and B' are equal when the energy of the photon is equal to the energy difference between the two energy levels of the atom.
fxdung
Please teach me: if stimulate photons have energy different from the difference of two energy levels of atom then what is happened?What is coefficent of the stimulate emission in this case?

Physics news on Phys.org
fxdung said:
Please teach me: if stimulate photons have energy different from the difference of two energy levels of atom then what is happened?

I'm uncertain which type of photons you are referring to. Stimulated (the photon produced) or stimulating the incident photon)?

I mean the incident photon that striking on excited atoms.

fxdung said:
I mean the incident photon that striking on excited atoms.

The probability of stimulated emission falls very rapidly as the energy of the photon moves away from the energy difference between the two energy levels, but I confess I don't know the mathematical details.

How do we know that?But I know Eisntein coefficents B=B' when energy of photon equal the difference of energy levels of atom.

What is stimulated emission?

Stimulated emission is a process in which an excited atom or molecule releases energy in the form of a photon, resulting in the production of multiple photons with the same energy, phase, and direction as the original photon.

How does stimulated emission differ from spontaneous emission?

Spontaneous emission occurs randomly and without any external influence, while stimulated emission requires an external photon to trigger the release of additional photons.

What is the significance of stimulated emission in laser technology?

In laser technology, stimulated emission is the fundamental process that allows for the generation of coherent and monochromatic light, making it useful in various applications such as cutting, welding, and medical procedures.

How is stimulated emission related to the concept of population inversion?

Stimulated emission can only occur in a system with a population inversion, which is when a larger number of particles are in an excited state compared to the ground state. This creates a chain reaction of stimulated emissions, resulting in amplification of light.

What are some real-world examples of stimulated emission?

Some common examples of stimulated emission include laser pointers, barcode scanners, and DVD players. Additionally, stimulated emission is a natural process that occurs in fireflies, where the chemical reaction in their bodies produces light through stimulated emission.