Could Bitcoin Be the Future of Premium Account Payments?

• Thread starter Kidiz
  • Start date
In summary: Uh, dude ... you've got to lighten up. Z was just making his own joke, not mocking your suggestion at all.
Kidiz
Hello there,

This forum seems to be quite interesting and I'm glad I found it. I also noticed that there is a premium option, which currently accepts paypal as a payment option.

Might I suggest bitcoin as an alternative to paypal? There might be a lot of people who cannot use paypal but would like to buy a premium account.

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
Thanks for the suggestion. Noted for future implementation.

Do you think it's a good idea though? I'm not even sure your message was not automatic, as you replied pretty fast. Do you plan to support bitcoin in the future?

It looks to me like Bitcoin is pretty much over. It's dropped in value by 75% in a little over a year and I expect it will keep dropping to essentially zero. Now as a more practical matter, I suppose whether it is a good idea for PF is if PF can quickly, securely and cheaply exchange it for dollars and keep the membership price automatically fluctuating as Bitcoin's value fluctuates.

Why/how would someone be able to buy bitcoins if they can't get a PayPal account or use an international money order denominated in dollars?

I doubt that bitcoin is "over" russ but I agree that w/o a fast-exchange mechanism it's likely to be more trouble than it's worth.

Given that one needs only a credit/debit card, not an account, to use PayPal, the number of people who cannot use PayPal is small. For places where credit cards don't work because of trade sanctions, Greg probably can't accept Bitcoins either.

Vanadium 50 said:
Given that one needs only a credit/debit card, not an account, to use PayPal, the number of people who cannot use PayPal is small. For places where credit cards don't work because of trade sanctions, Greg probably can't accept Bitcoins either.

How does one use a credit card without paypal? Will that work in countries where paypal is not supported?

One other reason to use bitcoin: No transaction fees. Premium membership could either be cheaper or PF gets more money, when someone pays with bitcoin.

And then there's also the whole "privacy" advantages.
Also, some people just don't want to support paypal. I'm sure you heard stories.

Haven't heard any PayPal stories but, there's plenty of Bitcoin stories.

Kidiz said:
How does one use a credit card without paypal?
You just type the number into the form provided.
Will that work in countries where paypal is not supported?
Not sure.

I think Greg should start accepting Apple Pay! Think of how satisfying it will be for iPhone 5s/6/6+ and iPad Air 2 users that they have the option of giving Greg the finger when they pay!

:)

{ZapperZ runs and hides}

Zz.

Likes Greg Bernhardt, Borg and phinds
ZapperZ said:
I think Greg should start accepting Apple Pay! Think of how satisfying it will be for iPhone 5s/6/6+ and iPad Air 2 users that they have the option of giving Greg the finger when they pay!

:)

{ZapperZ runs and hides}

Zz.

I'm not sure what you mean but bitcoin has been growing quite a lot, as a payment option. More and more businesses are accepting bitcoin. Thanks for mocking the suggestion though, I suppose.

Kidiz said:
I'm not sure what you mean but bitcoin has been growing quite a lot, as a payment option. More and more businesses are accepting bitcoin. Thanks for mocking the suggestion though, I suppose.
Uh, dude ... you've got to lighten up. Z was just making his own joke, not mocking your suggestion at all. I can't even see where you got that idea from.

What is bitcoin and how does it work?

Bitcoin is a digital currency that operates independently of a central bank or government. It uses a decentralized network of computers to record and verify transactions, which are then stored on a public ledger called the blockchain. Bitcoins are created through a process called mining, where powerful computers solve complex mathematical equations to add new blocks to the blockchain.

How can I support bitcoin as a currency?

There are several ways to support bitcoin as a currency. One way is to use it as a form of payment for goods and services. By accepting bitcoin as a payment method, you are helping to increase its adoption and use in the mainstream market. Another way to support bitcoin is by holding it as an investment. As more people use and invest in bitcoin, its value may increase, making it a more viable currency.

What are the benefits of supporting bitcoin?

Supporting bitcoin as a currency has several benefits. It offers a fast and secure way to make transactions without the need for a third party, such as a bank. It also allows for greater financial freedom and privacy, as bitcoin transactions are pseudonymous and do not require personal information. Additionally, as a decentralized currency, bitcoin is not subject to government control or manipulation, making it a more stable form of currency.

What are the risks of supporting bitcoin?

Like any form of currency, there are risks associated with supporting bitcoin. Its value can be volatile and unpredictable, making it a risky investment. There is also the potential for fraud and scams within the bitcoin market, so it is important to do thorough research and use reputable exchanges and wallets. Additionally, if you lose your private key or have your bitcoin stolen, there is no way to retrieve it, as there is no central authority to oversee the currency.

What can I do to help promote the use of bitcoin?

There are many ways to help promote the use of bitcoin. One way is to educate others about its benefits and how it works. You can also support businesses that accept bitcoin and encourage them to add it as a payment option. Participating in bitcoin events and conferences, as well as engaging with the bitcoin community online, can also help spread awareness and adoption of the currency.