Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

About supporting bitcoin

1. Jan 31, 2015 #1
    Hello there,

This forum seems to be quite interesting and I'm glad I found it. I also noticed that there is a premium option, which currently accepts paypal as a payment option.

Might I suggest bitcoin as an alternative to paypal? There might be a lot of people who cannot use paypal but would like to buy a premium account.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the suggestion. Noted for future implementation.

4. Jan 31, 2015 #3
    Do you think it's a good idea though? I'm not even sure your message was not automatic, as you replied pretty fast. Do you plan to support bitcoin in the future?

5. Jan 31, 2015 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

It looks to me like Bitcoin is pretty much over. It's dropped in value by 75% in a little over a year and I expect it will keep dropping to essentially zero. Now as a more practical matter, I suppose whether it is a good idea for PF is if PF can quickly, securely and cheaply exchange it for dollars and keep the membership price automatically fluctuating as Bitcoin's value fluctuates.

6. Jan 31, 2015 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Why/how would someone be able to buy bitcoins if they can't get a PayPal account or use an international money order denominated in dollars?

I doubt that bitcoin is "over" russ but I agree that w/o a fast-exchange mechanism it's likely to be more trouble than it's worth.

7. Jan 31, 2015 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Given that one needs only a credit/debit card, not an account, to use PayPal, the number of people who cannot use PayPal is small. For places where credit cards don't work because of trade sanctions, Greg probably can't accept Bitcoins either.

8. Feb 1, 2015 #7
    How does one use a credit card without paypal? Will that work in countries where paypal is not supported?

One other reason to use bitcoin: No transaction fees. Premium membership could either be cheaper or PF gets more money, when someone pays with bitcoin.

And then there's also the whole "privacy" advantages.
    Also, some people just don't want to support paypal. I'm sure you heard stories.

9. Feb 1, 2015 #8

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Haven't heard any PayPal stories but, there's plenty of Bitcoin stories.

10. Feb 1, 2015 #9

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

You just type the number into the form provided.
    Not sure.

11. Feb 1, 2015 #10

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I think Greg should start accepting Apple Pay! Think of how satisfying it will be for iPhone 5s/6/6+ and iPad Air 2 users that they have the option of giving Greg the finger when they pay!

:)

{ZapperZ runs and hides}

Zz.

12. Feb 1, 2015 #11
    I'm not sure what you mean but bitcoin has been growing quite a lot, as a payment option. More and more businesses are accepting bitcoin. Thanks for mocking the suggestion though, I suppose.

13. Feb 1, 2015 #12

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Uh, dude ... you've got to lighten up. Z was just making his own joke, not mocking your suggestion at all. I can't even see where you got that idea from.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook